Tech roundup: Tokken enters the marijuana fintech scene, Visibl rebrands and more

by Jess Ryan
April 14, 2016

photo via Facebook / Tokken

 

Tokken enters the marijuana fintech space, raises $250K

Denver startup

recently raised a $250,000 pre-seed round, launching their entrance into the marijuana fintech space. Tokken’s software allows cannabis retailers to conduct business with banks and consumers without relying solely on cash. A consumer-facing app is also in the works. [Marijuana Startups Like Tokken Aim To Provide The Cannabis Industry With Banking Services, But Will Legal Shifts Put Them Out Of Business?, International Business Times]

 

photo via Facebook / Brandzooka

 

Visibl rebrands to Brandzooka

Boulder adtech company Visibl announced this week they’ve rebranded as

. The programmatic video startup also announced $1.5 million in new funding from investors IMM, Galvanize Ventures, eonCapital Ventures, Mahalo Capital and RSVP Ventures. They plan to grow their team and release new products in the coming months. [Built In Colorado]


photo via Facebook / Layer3 TV

 

Layer3 TV reveals what they’ve been up to

Notoriously elusive company was featured in a WIRED piece this week, where they revealed plans to “reinvent cable.” The service combines pay TV channels with internet-enabled video, making it easier to find what you want to watch. It also pulls your social media feeds right onto your screen. While we now have a better idea of what they’re up to, it’s still not clear when they’ll officially launch the service. Regardless, the piece has the most details about Layer3 we’ve seen to date, and is worth a read if you’ve been as curious as we have. [Layer3 TV’s Crazy Plan to Take on Comcast and Reinvent Cable, WIRED]

 

photo via Shutterstock

 

Facing more discerning investors, Colorado startups adapt fundraising methods

Colorado’s funding environment has grown tight recently, especially when compared with where we were last year. We spoke with players in this space — companies seeking funding and ones trying to help — about their experiences, the challenges they’ve faced and the advice they have for members of Colorado’s startup community who are also trying to raise money. [Built In Colorado]

 

 

Whole Foods partners with Boomtown in tech/food swap

Boulder’s Whole Foods Market stores have partnered with the Boomtown accelerator. They’ll be providing snacks for the companies going through Boomtown, and Boomtown will provide tech assistance for regional Whole Foods stores. [Whole Foods partners with Boomtown on technology and snacks, Denver Post]

 

 

 

 

 

photo via Go Code Colorado

 

10 companies head to Go Code Colorado’s Mentor Weekend 

Following their challenge weekend April 1st-3rd,

has announced the 10 finalists who will move on to their mentor weekend in Boulder this weekend. The teams will have the opportunity to work with community mentors on the expenses-paid trip, which will prepare them for the “Final Event” on May 26th. [Blog Post]

 

Foundry group seeking $500M for new investment fund

In SEC filings this week, Boulder-based Foundry Group revealed they are seeking $500 million for a new fund that will invest in later-stage companies and other VC firms. 25 percent of the fund will be allocated to "passive investments" in other VC firms while the remaining 75 percent will go toward direct investment in other companies. [Foundry Group Raising $500 Million for 'Next' Fund, Fortune]

 

Have a tip or know of a company that deserves coverage? Email us.

Jobs from companies in this blog3 open jobs
All Jobs
Design + UX
Dev + Engineer
Sales
Design + UX
new
Brandzooka
Boulder
Developer
new
Brandzooka
Boulder
Sales
new
Brandzooka
Boulder

Colorado startup guides

LOCAL GUIDE
Best Companies to Work for in Denver & Boulder
LOCAL GUIDE
Best Software Engineer Jobs in Denver & Colorado Tech
LOCAL GUIDE
Coolest Tech Offices in Denver & Colorado Tech
LOCAL GUIDE
Best Sales Jobs in Denver & Colorado Tech
LOCAL GUIDE
Best Perks at Colorado Tech Companies
LOCAL GUIDE
Best Marketing Jobs in Denver & Colorado Tech
LOCAL GUIDE
Your Guide to Healthtech in Denver & Boulder
LOCAL GUIDE
Best Design Jobs in Denver & Colorado Tech