Regional Manager, OSP Damage Prevention at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, and dedicated Internet access. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
This position is responsible for managing a team of Cable Protection Specialist in all major markets within an operating region to prevent outages that result from damages to the OSP fiber optic cable network. They will be responsible for manage locating vendors to ensure accurate locates are being completed on time. They will develop plans and procedure to identify high risk areas of construction activity near the cable plant and implement preventive actions prior to damage strikes occurring.
- Responsible for management of Cable Protection Specialist to prevent damages to fiber optic cable outside plant facilities.
- Manage locating vendor to ensure all locates are accurate, completely located and performed on time according to state laws.
- Develop and manage relationships with construction contractors known to be working on projects in each market raising their awareness of the location of our cable plant and make certain they are using best practices to avoid strike damages. This includes private company project as well as civil infrastructure projects such as road widening, water, sewer, gas, tree trimming etc.
- Develop and implement rules for Damage Prevention Specialist to consistently identify high risk area of construction activity and implement preventive measures to avoid strike damages prior to them occurring.
- Works closely with Zayo market OSP personnel to understand the status of inflight relocation's they are working on and other activities that could represent risk to the cable plant as well as strike damage documentation.
- Works closely with damage strike cost recovery personnel OSP and Finance to ensure maximum recovery from 3rd party construction parties and locating vendor.
- Works closely with tools development personnel and other regions cable plant protection managers to recommend feature enhancements and develop preventive / predictive best practices.
- Provides training and development of Cable Protection Specialist to maximize their effectiveness in use of tools, OSP inspection skills, strike damage documentation and other required duties.
- Minimum of 7 years in the telecommunications industry with outside plant, fiber optics, telecommunication architectures.
- Must have 4 years familiarity with all types of outside plant construction and preventive strike damage procedures such as pot holing, bore pit windows etc.
- Should have an excellent understanding of locating methodology, locating state laws and locate vendor/s contractual commitments.
- Familiar with Email, MS Excel, Word, Google Earth and AutoCad.
- Must be able to understand and read construction documents.
- Proven negotiation skills.
- Business minded and able to maintain a commercial focus.
- The employee must possess a valid driver’s license and is expected to drive as required.
- The employee must perform on-site inspection required to ensure maximum protection of the Zayo network is achieved and maintained
- The employee will be required occasionally to meet with various municipalities construction contractors, and locating companies vendors to understand their project scope and make them aware of our network location relative their activities.
- Full ability and willingness to pull on call duty when assigned, as dictated by the needs of the business.
Base salary range: $92,395-$100,344
Full-time Zayo employees are also eligible for discretionary quarterly short-term and long-term incentive cash bonuses which are based on the performance of the Company, an employee’s business segment, and the individual employee
Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
Fitness membership discounts
Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time