Senior Market Development Manager (Remote)
Do you dream about creating a more sustainable future? At Uplight, we are motivating energy users and providers to accelerate the clean energy ecosystem. Working with over 80 of the world's leading electric and gas utilities, Uplight provides an end-to-end customer energy experience. Uplight delivers personalized experiences that customers have now come to expect-improving satisfaction, increasing revenue, reducing the cost to serve, and contributing to carbon reduction goals. We are B Corp certified, enabling us to put our values into action by not only making decisions for the benefit of our shareholders, but also for our customers, environment, employees, and community.
We are seeking a Manager of Market Development and Regulatory Innovation to join our team and help us achieve our ambitious goals for our business and the planet.
What you get to do:
As the Manager of Market Development and Regulatory Innovation, you will provide a blend of consultative engagement, thought leadership, and strategic insight to support regulatory proceedings that develop new commercial opportunities for Uplight.
What you will contribute: You will help commercialize and grow industry-leading clean energy programs by providing market assessment, stakeholder engagement, and regulatory strategy expertise.
Market Assessment Expertise
- Assess market opportunities that emerge as a result of regulatory and policy changes and develop a strategy to advance decarbonization policies that have a positive impact on customers and Uplight/partner business. Galvanize internal and external resources to execute against that strategy.
- Track state regulatory and legislative developments in coordination with marketing, market intelligence, sales, product, and customer success colleagues.
Stakeholder Engagement and Communication Expertise
- Engage regulators, staff and trade organizations to:
- Advocate for effective decarbonization policies with specific emphasis on demand-side and "grid edge" opportunities that align with Uplight's current and future product strategy.
- Elevate the stature and perceived effectiveness of demand-side solutions and energy customer engagement in the overall policy considerations and recommendations of regulators.
- Describe value proposition of Uplight's products, especially as they relate to decarbonization policies .
- Influence program design in a pragmatic, effective, and bold direction.
- Support procurements and cost recovery of Uplight products.
- Build Uplight's brand as a thought partner and industry expert - e.g., testify before regulatory bodies, speak at conferences, participate in industry groups, etc.
Regulatory Strategy Expertise
- Collaborate internally, leveraging policy and regulatory expertise to inform the company's product and go-to-market strategy and support sales efforts.
- Engage in the highest impact regulatory proceedings to secure necessary approvals for the commercialization of and cost recovery for Uplight solutions.
Skills and experience are necessary, but we hire on value alignment first, so if you feel you would be a good fit with us, still consider applying.
What you bring to Uplight:
- 6+ years of experience in the energy, utility or climate space.
- Experience working with key stakeholders in the energy industry, including regulators, policymakers, utilities, advocates, and/or nonprofits.
- Understanding of the hurdles in decarbonization of the energy ecosystem through domain experience in one or more of the following areas:
- utility regulation,
- wholesale electricity markets,
- state/local policy,
- utility DSM programs, or
- virtual power plants and applicable market opportunities.
- Ability to apply both creative and critical thinking to nuanced policy and political situations.
- Exceptional communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to make complex topics accessible for a broad range of stakeholders.
- A spirit of collaboration - and also strong conviction and willingness to have uncomfortable conversations in order to advance the speed and scale of decarbonization opportunities.
- Creativity, pragmatism, a keen commercial sense and a bias for action.
- The ability to travel for work trips when in-person presence is important (estimated 25%).
- A master's degree in public policy or a juris doctorate (JD).
- Demonstrated experience in key utility jurisdictions in the U.S.
- Additional experience and demonstrated thought leadership or program design in one or more of the following:
- Utility rate design,
- Energy efficiency savings and cost accounting,
- Demand management,
- Transport electrification,
- Building electrification, or
- Data sharing and privacy
What makes working at Uplight amazing:
- Proud to be over 500+ purpose-driven individuals helping to create a more sustainable planet.
- Committed to the environment, our employees, and our communities.
- Focused on career growth by following defined career ladders.
- Committed to taking our work and mission seriously and....we love to laugh!
We also provide:
- 401k Match
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Peer to peer recognition program
- Management by objectives bonus plan
- Innovative flexible time off policy
- Exceptionally collaborative and cool office spaces
Salary Range: $ 90,000 to 120,000 USD
Application Deadline: February 8th
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the approximate annual base compensation range is listed above. The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be determined by a number of factors including the applicant's experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity among our team.
Uplight provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race (including hair texture and hairstyles), color, religion (including head coverings), age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.