Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving understanding of the past. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $2.2B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include, Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced attorney with a strong technology transactional background to join our dynamic legal team. As the Director of Commercial Affairs, you will report to Checkr’s General Counsel and partner with our sales and business development teams to draft, negotiate and review complex contracts and commercial partnership agreements. You will interact with internal clients at every level of the company and also work closely with our compliance team to advise on legal, regulatory and compliance issues in commercial deals.
While this is a highly collaborative, flexible, and fun environment, we are looking for a self-starting problem-solver who can work collaboratively and autonomously and roll up their sleeves when necessary to get the job done.
- Structure, review, draft and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements, including customer sales agreements, commercial partnership agreements, and services agreements.
- Develop, improve and maintain contract templates, standard forms, corporate policies and processes, and training programs.
- Build and manage processes and workflows that can scale to keep up with our fast growth.
- Research and analyze laws that affect the company, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Counsel internal clients on the business implications of FCRA and other applicable laws and assist in the development of compliance policies, procedures, training, and risk mitigation strategies
- Contribute to cross-functional teams as a trusted advisor, creative problem-solver and strategic thinker.
- Advise on projects as needed, including general corporate, vendor relationship and risk management issues, as well as assisting with the management of external counsel.
- Build and manage processes, workflows, and trainings that can scale to keep up with our fast growth.
What you bring:
- JD degree and a member in good standing of the California Bar
- 8+ years of relevant commercial experience, ideally as in-house counsel in a high-growth technology company
- Top-notch expertise in structuring, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts
- Pragmatic strategist who can identify and resolve legal issues in the context of the company’s commercial goals and risk thresholds
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and able to organize, prioritize and complete multiple priorities and projects (internally and externally) in a fast-paced environment
- Thrives in an environment where you need to roll up your sleeves and own outcomes.
- Collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a good sense of humor
- Ability to learn quickly and take on challenging new projects with enthusiasm
- Knowledge of applicable laws/regulations in consumer protection and FCRA is a plus, but not required. Must be open and willing to build FCRA and other applicable law expertise.
- Experience in corporate, securities, investment, and other corporate transactional experience (financings, M&A and other strategic transactions) with a nationally recognized law firm a plus, but not required
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.