Head of Learning & Development
We are seeking a Head of Learning & Development based in Denver to empower Customer Experience and Sales team members and support our scaling business with world class training. You will be responsible for establishing strategic direction and an operating plan for the team, communicating and achieving clear objectives to build a modern and effective employee learning experience, and developing a team of top-talent individuals and managers.
The pace at Gusto is fast and the landscape we’re playing in is ever-changing. We’re looking for a passionate people leader who is able to dive into the weeds and also navigate from 30k feet. We value leaders who possess a growth mindset and can build a trust-based environment with passion, humor and authenticity.
We are seeking someone who is not afraid to roll-up their sleeves, but also has the experience and strategic mindset to up-level the L&D function and lead an innovative and inspirational group. This role will include developing a high-performing and engaged L&D team, building results-oriented learning plans with business leaders, designing modern and inspiring learning programs, and leveraging LMS and other tools to capture, organize, and deliver on-demand learning.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lay out the vision of how we can help people do the best work of their lives through coaching and performance development
- Build relationships across Gusto and be a proactive partner by understanding other team’s goals, aligning stakeholders around the problem we’re trying to solve, and thinking broadly about success
- Partner with our teams to understand business needs and translate them into training and development programs
- Scale L&D programs to be easily digestible across the organization, leveraging data and insights to help steer the Learning & Development team
- Empower a team of both managers and individual contributors
- Drive forward-thinking solutions to scale knowledge transfer across both internal teams and external vendors
- Anticipate and initiate change, demonstrate resilience, and help the team adapt
- Clearly communicate decisions, reasons for decisions, and impact on the team
- Lead the charge for digitization of learning content; converting existing classroom-based programs to e-learning and building new lessons online when appropriate
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 10+ years of experience in the learning and development field
- 5+ years of experience as a people leader
- Your proven record of creating and delivering innovative multimodal learning programs that drive results
- Scaled a learning and development organization to support 1000+ employees
- The mission of Gusto inspires you
- You love fast-paced, get-stuff-done roles
- You think in a balanced way that is logical, empathetic, and data-informed
- You believe feedback is a fundamental skill to be learned, and embrace giving it, receiving it, and coaching folks how to do so as well
- Writing and visual communication are like breathing for you
- You love learning and inspire those around you to have a growth mindset
- Technology is the future and you follow new trends and products, you’re willing to test and deploy modern learning techniques that resonate with our employees
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.