Director of Sales
What does working at GAN look like?
Creating a culture of happy colleagues is part of GAN’s DNA. We want our team to love what they are doing while working at a place that is growing and moving quickly. Benefits at GAN are a reflection of what matters most: You. We hire based on values and entrepreneurial spirit. Because of this, we have a smart team who has fun, cares for one another, and gets a lot done. You will be joining a team of hard-working, happy, and humble people.
What is GAN?
GAN is a highly-curated community of independent accelerators, partners, and investors. We’re obsessed with helping startups all over the world succeed, which is why GAN’s mission is to give startups the power to create and grow their businesses, wherever they are. Our community has helped more than 10,600 companies receive over $5.3B USD in funding and create more than 26,700 jobs globally.
We got started in 2010 when Brad Feld and David Cohen—the two co-founders of Techstars—had the idea to connect the top mentorship-driven, seed-stage accelerators around the world. Alongside the White House’s Startup America Initiative, GAN was launched to align those accelerators and create a community and model for their success. Today, GAN is an independently-operated organization and we have more than 100 accelerators in our community, running programs in 120+ cities all over the world. GAN Ventures is our investment arm, making seed-stage investments in startups across the globe. We have built a parallel community of engaged corporate partners that are seeking to build meaningful relationships with GAN Startups everywhere. And most recently, we have started working with startup studios: the Global Startup Studio Network (GSSN) is a growing community of Startup Studios that spans four continents.
What are GAN’s Values?
- Humanity: Create environments where people are empowered to fulfill who they set out to be.
- Service: Exhibit a level of selflessness that makes people question our sainthood.
- Integrity: Deliver what we say we’ll deliver, and be honest early and often when we face challenges.
- Action: Get stuff done. Continually grow and evolve based on the needs of our community, and work to proactively know those needs.
- Celebration: Pop a cork when people reach greater heights. Getting stuff done doesn't mean you have to be boring.
- Drive: A deep determination to do whatever is appropriately necessary to support our clients, colleagues, and ourselves.
Overview of GAN’s Director of Sales Role
To be successful in this role, you’ll be a dynamic sales leader who already knows how to find leads, build relationships. and close deals. Someone who will do well as our Director of Sales loves making new friends, helps friends in need, hates losing, doesn’t need their hand to be held, and is passionate about helping entrepreneurs. You know how to open doors with a variety of different customer personas, build relationships to understand individual and organizational objectives, and present opportunities for collaboration. You will have the opportunity to lead a growing sales team and think strategically through cross-functional selling to continually grow and productize our offerings for three distinct business. In doing so, you are furthering our purpose, which is to give startups the power to create and grow their businesses wherever they are.
The Director Sales is responsible for developing new partnerships with corporations who want to work with GAN Startups as well as to strategically grow our community of accelerators. The role will touch every part of the sales process and will receive support from operations, marketing and account management to build a strong pipeline and effectively close deals. The successful candidate will have strong partnering skills and specific experience with startups, technology companies and investors. A great deal of comfort in speaking with high-level contacts and an ability to navigate, negotiate and close enterprise deals is a must. This role will spearhead GAN’s sales strategy and will be charged with the immediate priority of hiring a Sales Manager as a direct report.
As the Director of Sales, you’ll keep GAN’s growth going. You’ll work closely with GAN’s CEO, COO, and Partners Account Manager on new initiatives and key strategic relationships. You don't just execute; you're also a thought leader who can see multiple steps ahead and identify industry trends and key influencers.
- Grow GAN by obtaining revenue-generating partnerships with corporations and global organizations who are focused on engaging startups.
- Identify, vet and pitch top performing accelerators to join the GAN community.
- Develop, track and maintain the overall strategy for GAN’s longterm growth across three business lines.
- Manage inbound inquires and be a pro at generating leads by reaching out to untapped contacts through events, email, carrier pigeon, or whatever means necessary.
- Identify and prioritize targets; become an expert on knowing what it takes to be a great partner with GAN.
- Interview, hire and directly manage a growing sales team.
- Whatever else is necessary—we’re a small, nimble, and fun team.
- You have a Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- You have previous experience in a sales leadership role in a technology company, startup, and/or a large corporation.
- You have previous experience maintaining a healthy pipeline by nurturing inbound leads while simultaneously being proactive about generating new leads through cold outreach, events, etc.
- You are a hands-on leader who is equally comfortable thinking strategically and executing on the “small stuff.”
- You care about people and want to be part of a unique team that supports one another.
- You embody GAN’s values (see Page 1).
- You have an above-average sense of humor.
- You have experience generating leads, customizing proposals, and managing sales cycles with variety of product types and customer personas.
- You possess an ability to interpret legal documents and work with attorneys on specific contract language.
- You have international experience and wouldn’t mind doing some travel, including overseas.
GAN Benefits Overview
Great insurance: A top-tier insurance plan where the company pays for 100% of your health, vision and dental plan along with a Flexible Spending Account where you can set aside pre-tax money for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
Cell Phone, Parking, & Public Transportation Reimbursement: We’ll reimburse you for your cell phone, and any parking or public transportation-related costs (paying for an EcoPass).
Snacks: We’ll pay for coffee and snacks from any coffee shop while you are working.
Matching Donations: When you donate money to a qualified charity, GAN will make a matching gift to that charity on your behalf, up to $500.
Fitness Allowance: Use up to a $50 per month fitness allowance for your gym membership, yoga studio membership, or whatever activity you do to stay healthy.
Professional Development: Admission and travel costs paid for professional development opportunities, industry meetings, and events.
Time Off: We have a generous PTO policy, time off for all major holidays, and up to three days off to volunteer in your community every year.
Remote Work: Work at least one day a week from wherever you want. Whether it’s the mountains, your house, a hut…it doesn’t matter.
Sabbatical: Every three years, employees are granted a one-month-long paid sabbatical.
Parental Leave: Maternity and paternity leave for new parents.
Job Costs: We pay 100% of the costs for the hardware/software you need to do your job.
A “Holiday Holiday”: We shut down the office every year from Christmas Eve through New Years Day for you to enjoy time with your family or friends.
Reasonable Work Hours: And while this isn’t a formal benefit, we encourage 40-hour work weeks. The startup industry often asks people for regular 60+ hour weeks and regular pushes on weekends. We don’t want people working more than 40 hours a week in any sustained fashion. In a crisis or if we have a big project, we may require very short-term, extended hours, but otherwise, we strongly encourage working 40 hours a week and getting eight hours of sleep a night.