Network Planning Engineer
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
The Groom Capacity Planner will develop and maintain processes and best practices for monitoring and trending network capacity. The Capacity Planner will proactively ensure all network(s), facilities, and collocation capacity remains at a reliable level on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis, which will include documenting and communicating results. Capacity Planners will provide technical support as needed to establish capacity growth procedures, thresholds, and solutions which will require working directly with engineering, IT, operations, service delivery and sales. Responsibilities will include network optimization to reassign and manage capacity effectively.
- Effectively manage capacity and performance on Integra’s Ethernet network including rings, core facilities, and NNIs.
- Effectively manage and analyze capacity for EoC and EoTDM devices.
- Effectively manage and analyze capacity on the legacy TDM Integra network devices.
- Effectively manage and analyze Integra’s colocation space capacity including CFA, APOT, tie cable, and entrance fiber.
- Work directly with the LEC, IXC. ILEC, CLEC, and other data centers when required. Process space and power augments when required.
- Effectively manage capacity on software and Hardware licenses.
- Perform incoming capacity verification requests from the service delivery and sales organizations.
- Work all daily critical path concerns; i.e., project requests, capacity issues/needs, routing assistance, and any other capacity related concerns that arise as needed.
- Provide quarterly and annual capacity forecasts.
- Create and plan network optimizations efforts required to rearrange or groom traffic as it relates to capacity requirements.
- Initiate requests for new equipment, facilities, or licenses when required.
- Project Manage initiated capacity optimization projects, orders, and equipment requests.
- Work very closely with internal customers from Service Delivery, Engineering, IT, Operations, Sales, and Product Marketing and ensure capacity planning is represented during meetings and conference calls.
- Achieve and maintain on-going technical and product proficiency related to capacity management.
- Adhere to and recommend enhancements to standards, policies, and procedures to maintain and support capacity management. Constantly look for new ways to effectively manage and communicate capacity.
- Perform additional duties or projects as assigned.
Work under minimal supervision, individually and within a team environment. Capacity Planners are responsible for maintaining capacity levels for equipment and facilities owned and operated by Integra. Provide reports reflecting capacity levels as well as forecasting upcoming needs by quarter and annual increments. This position requires a high level of knowledge on various pieces of telecommunications systems including Ethernet and TDM networks and devices. Position performs multiple tasks within a changing environment and requires a high degree of flexibility to organizational needs. Performs work in a semi-structured environment. Position requires extensive collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, and vendors.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in telecommunications.
- Experience and a strong understanding of Ethernet utilization and forecasting.
- Experience in managing capacity across multiple hardware devices, facilities, and networks. Familiar with capacity management fundamentals and concepts.
- Experience in forecasting and analyzing large quantities of data within multiple applications.
- Experience and Familiarity with various types of equipment hardware and systems: Infinera, Cienna, Fujitsu, Nortel, Cisco, Metaswitch, DMS, 5E, Tellabs 5500 & 5320 DCS, Adtran TA5000, MX2820, ATI, Hatteras and various CPE devices, NetVanta, & Total Access, etc..
- Familiarity with VOIP protocols, SIP signaling, NNI / ENNI, IP routing, Ethernet switching (including 802.11q, 802.11p, 802.3af), and packet tagging mechanisms.
- Familiarity of hosted and cloud based applications and services.
- Familiarity with managing software and hardware licenses.
- Familiarity with fiber optics cable inventory including terminating devices.
- Familiarity with customer premise, colocation, and central office scenarios such as cabling, space, architecture and other network interfaces.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Familiar with analytic tools such as Tableau. Experience with SQL a plus.
- Industry certifications such as Cisco CCNA, CCNP, MEF, PMP and Microsoft MCSE a plus.
- Demonstrated professional customer-facing communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Personally accountable for achieving results.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave