Pie Insurance is an insurtech company tackling meaningful problems. At Pie, we work with small businesses using technology and innovation to improve how they access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. So, at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us.
Today, all Pie-oneers are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. As a remote team member, you will be expected to be available for meetings with team members in other time zones and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Our ideal candidate for this role will sit in our DC or Denver office once it is safe to do so. We will consider this role for continued remote work once our offices reopen with up to 50% travel.
How You’ll Do It
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director, Reinsurance and Capital Solutions will oversee reinsurance, risk finance, and the strategy for capital efficiency. As a leader at Pie, you will be responsible for reinsurance programs, determining the capital strategy for our reinsurance business, and be a liaison to credit agencies. You will communicate with customers and assist with plan design and distribution when necessary, as well as research and analyze reinsurance prices and specifications.
Pie is an incredibly collaborative team with constant communication. You will work across teams and collaborate with stakeholders and team members. Great communication and coordination skills are key to your success. The Director, Reinsurance and Capital Solutions will need to establish strong relationships with teams and leaders across various departments.
- Be responsible for establishing and maintaining strong relationships with a robust panel of insurers, reinsurers, and alternative capital providers.
- Build sound and defensible underwriting arguments and effectively communicate these with internal stakeholders and market counterparties.
- Contribute to key decisioning on strategic initiatives such as establishing a captive, acquiring a shell, establishing an insurance carrier and other risk structuring techniques.
- Identify and leverage brokers and advisors to provide best strategy and execution for long term success.
- Lead the continuous optimization of reinsurance, risk finance and capital efficiency strategy.
- Work closely with finance, underwriting and risk teams to effectively structure and execute reinsurance, risk finance and capital efficiency.
- Serve in an outward facing leadership role when working with rating agencies and ensure Pie achieves and maintains its desired financial strength ratings.
- Ensure timely accounting, reporting and auditing.
The Right Stuff
- 10+ years of progressive experience in insurance; startup, high-growth industry experience preferred
- Advanced knowledge of commercial property & casualty insurance business lines, and the relevant legal and regulatory environment
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in mathematics, business or related field is preferred
- P&C licensing, actuarial designation, and/or underwriting designation preferred
- Defines core skills, and drives functional vision for the overall reinsurance business processes
- Competitive salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
- Generous parental leave
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie. That includes our offer process.
When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $175,000 - $250,000
Other Benefits: Each year Pie reviews Company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance raises an additional $118M in funding
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding