Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, and dedicated Internet access. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
The Director of Underlying Rights & Government Relations (“ULR”) provides a variety of functions, but is primarily responsible for supporting Zayo’s goal of deploying its telecommunications networks both on time and on budget. The ULR team focuses on a wide range of matters, including licensing/contractual negotiations, issues management and dispute resolution, permitting and regulatory compliance, and governmental affairs (with the emphasis on relationship-building). The successful candidate will be a self-starting problem solver who is a team-player and has excellent communications skills (verbal and written).
- Negotiate, draft, and manage agreements under which Zayo is granted rights to construct fiber optic and conduit assets as the company continues to develop and maintain its network. These include public franchises and right-of-way use agreements, utility pole attachment agreements, private easements, railroad licenses, etc.
- Advocate on Zayo’s behalf to municipalities and other public entities to secure critical underlying rights associated with network expansion, including representing Zayo in front of jurisdictional councils/commissions/boards, as well as with city attorneys and other senior governmental staff;
- Research federal, state and local laws to assert Zayo’s rights to access public rights-of-way and utility poles as a public utility/CLEC and in support of the company’s cost-reduction initiatives;
- Support the Operations teams related to its day-to-day construction/permitting activities;
- Manage reduction of network expenses related to underlying rights incurred by Zayo, including franchise fees, pole attachment fees, and land lease expenses;
- Support litigation, finance, and other corporate teams to negotiate and resolve disputes with underlying rights grantors/vendors;
- Support corporate development activities, including M&A due diligence and corporate integrations;
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned from time-to-time to meet the dynamic needs of the business.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced business environment with a sense of urgency.
- Contracts: Strongly prefer a candidate with experience drafting, analyzing, and negotiating contracts. Familiarity with telecom agreements and/or industry a strong plus. Experience with billing and dispute resolution also a plus.
- Telecom and Regulatory Experience: Experience with state or local government, telecom networks, construction, municipal rights-of-way, or obtaining underlying rights is a strong plus. Experience with Railroad industry also a plus.
- Project Management and Organizational Skills: Strong project management and organizational skills essential, including management of projects and workload, as well as setting goals and priorities. Contracts and data management a strong plus.
- Communication Skills: Excellent communications and interpersonal skills required. Ability to communicate with internal and external parties through strong, organized writing and verbal skills. Relentless attention to detail.
- Law degree preferred, but not required.
- Competitive compensation - Base salary range: $110,400-147,200
Benefits, Rewards & Wellness
Annual Incentive Plan (AIP) - Full-time Zayo employees are also eligible for discretionary AIP which is based on the performance of the Company, an employee’s business segment, and the individual employee
Sales Incentive Plan - Full-time Zayo sales employees are also eligible for discretionary incentive cash compensation through our Sales Incentive Plan
Excellent Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
Retirement 401(k) Savings Plan
Fitness membership discounts
Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Please note, in accordance with Zayo's commitment to providing and maintaining a workplace free of recognized hazards, all U.S. and Canadian employees and any employee, vendor, customer, or visitor who enters a Zayo office or facility in the U.S. and Canada must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of such vaccination. If you are hired by Zayo, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.