Are you ready to plant roots and grow with a Denver-based company that is making a name for themselves? If so, we here at Wurk want to meet you! Wurk is the cannabis industry’s first all-in-one workforce management solution. We’ve created a dynamic system to manage payroll, HR, timekeeping, and tax compliance, streamlining operations and minimizing regulatory risk. Our responsibility is to protect the people and businesses of the cannabis industry so they can focus their energies on making social change in the world in which we live.
The Part-time Payroll Specialist will be the go-to expert on all things payroll and serve as a resource for management and employees. You must have a broad understanding of payroll best practices and be comfortable working within a fast-paced, growing company. This role will interact regularly with employees of every level and needs to deliver world class employee support. Detail obsessed is a must. You will report to the Director of Finance & Accounting, but will work closely with our HR team.
Approximate Position Hours: Monday through Friday 9am - 1pm MT
What you’ll need to accomplish
- Process multi-state payrolls timely and accurately, including new hires, transfers or promotions, and terminations in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Process garnishments, child support orders, quarterly tax verifications, worker compensation reports, employment verifications, and U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics requests.
- Resolve all payroll discrepancies, process adjustments, manual checks and answer employee and management inquiries, as needed.
- Collaborate with internal HR teams for data integrity and system alignment.
- Run 401K reconciliation reports each payroll, in coordination with the HR Team, to ensure accurate deductions and payroll uploads
- Create and manipulate payroll data reports for HR/Finance teams, as needed.
- Setup state and local taxing authorities.
- Perform year-end responsibilities as it relates to W-2 verification.
- Support the accounting team with reconciliations (e.g., bonuses, benefits, cost allocation, reporting).
- Make recommendations to improve processes and systems. Coordinates and leads efforts through project completion.
What you’ll need to have:
- Minimum 7+ years of payroll experience in salaried and nonexempt populations
- Deep and current understanding of state wage and labor laws and compliance requirements
- Record of progression and performance over time in an organization with high standards for performance
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to extract data, prepare reports and communicate insights and results in a clear and simple way
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential material with discretion
- Bonus points for experience working in our workforce management tool Kronos
What’s in it for you?
- Work with one of the most amazing tech start-ups the industry has ever seen and be a part of an incredible team that’s going places and leading the industry.
- Apply your technical, project, and problem-solving skills to an evolving market
- Work in colorful Colorado near the bustling heart of Downtown Denver and our gorgeous ballpark
- Collaborate with bright, fun, and goal-oriented teams in an open and lively environment
- Dog-Friendly Workspace
Due to our small size, we will not be facilitating any relocation and will only be contacting local talent at this time. If you live in Denver and want to work in the heart of the city, we want to meet you!
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Wurk is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Wurk does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.