Network Engineer II at Zayo (Greater Denver Area, CO)
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, dedicated Internet access, and colocation services. Zayo owns and operates a Tier 1 IP Backbone and 44 carrier-neutral data centers. Through its Cloudlink service, Zayo provides low latency private connectivity that attaches enterprises to their public cloud environments. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
This position is responsible for understanding DWDM technologies by creating innovative solutions to address delivery services to customers. Plays a key role in building future network design and manages all products and services to deliver leading edge, state of the art solutions on time and at cost. Foster strong relationships with all internal business units. Assists in making engineering standards and product specifications more efficient. Creates targeted plans from simple customer orders to complex network designs. Assists in future network design based on the overall budgets and helps schedule the completion based on requirements etc. Works closely with the Operations and Field Services to provide input in timely completion of projects.
- Assist in the development of a Capital budget; provide budgetary details related to customer forecast and network upgrades. Manage capital associated with projects according to plan, develop reports, and provide weekly updates.
- Engineer and design solutions, which can include public and private telecommunications networks.
- Procurement of approved telecommunications hardware/software products and services. Evaluations include technical and detailed economic analysis.
- Project manage network installation projects consisting of telecommunications equipment, systems, and services; develop operating procedures; train operating personnel; and provide on-going technical support.
- Manage network capacity and utilization based on engineering and technical guidelines established by engineering requirements of the network.
- Interface between the sales and Zayo customer service to manage the order process with quality service.
- Record and track all aspects of customer circuit in conjunction with the customer order to meet requested service dates.
- Deploy approved strategies to address specific telecommunications, connectivity and related customer service needs.
- BA or BS degree highly desirable, or equivalent telecommunications experience.
- 1-3 years applicable experience.
- Knowledge of telecommunications network circuit design and/or fiber optic networks or other comparable networks.
- Knowledge and experience of various telecom products (example: Infinera, Ciena, Cisco, Fujitsu, ALU, Nokia) as well as design alternatives.
- Thorough understanding of the fiber optic network and associated electronics.
- Demonstrated communications and negotiations skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate and provide technical direction to technical and non-technical personnel.
- PC skills required to perform daily work activities.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision and ability to be an integral member of a team.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave