Senior Data Engineer
AirDNA began with a big dream in a balmy California garage in 2015. Since then, the technology startup has grown into the leading provider of data and business intelligence for the billion-dollar travel and vacation rental industry—with offices in Denver and Barcelona.
Our self-serve MarketMinder platform eliminates guesswork and equips Airbnb hosts with smart and competitive insights needed to succeed in the ever-evolving short-term rental landscape.
We also arm enterprise clients with customized reports and in-depth dashboards to ensure they can scale and invest strategically. These customers include hundreds of top financial institutions, real estate companies, vacation rental managers, and destination marketing organizations around the world.
We track the daily performance of over 10 million Airbnb and Vrbo properties across 120,000 global markets. We also collect data from over a million partner properties. This marriage of scraped and source data, enhanced by our proprietary algorithms, makes our solutions the most accurate and comprehensive in the world.
We’re firm believers that data isn’t the destination; it’s the starting point. The launchpad. The bedrock for any future-forward business.
The AirDNA Team
At AirDNA, we’re a team of data nerds on a mission to empower our customers to smartly grow their businesses. And we're looking for people with a broad range of experiences and perspectives, who are excited by our mission, values, and drive to change the short-term rental market. In short: Life is never boring here. And we genuinely live and breathe our company values: Happy, Hungry and Honest. People who are ready to exemplify these values are especially encouraged to apply. We invite you to apply even if you are unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. We carefully consider every application, not just those that check off all the boxes.
AirDNA is looking for a Senior Data Engineer to help us build a solid and scalable data infrastructure and analytical environment. The ideal candidate enjoys data wrangling, optimizing data pipelines, and building solutions for data collections and analysis in parallelized and scaled out environments. The AirDNA infrastructure currently processes billions of data points and hosts databases well into terabyte-size ranges, making this an interesting and challenging opportunity.
Here's what you'll get to do
- Build and extend data pipelines, written in Scala and running on Spark
- Tune Spark job performance
- Write clean, performant Scala code
- Work closely with our Product, Data Science and other Engineering teams to craft new products
- Contribute to Python and Scala-based microservices running on kubernetes
Here's what you'll need to be successful
- 5 or more years of experience in a Data Engineer role
- BS/BA in Computer Science
- Experience developing cloud based pipelines
- Strong experience with Spark
- Experience with Scala, and exposure to Python
- Experience with developing and deploying cloud-based data solutions
- Experience in any of the following is considered to be an asset: streaming technology such as Kafka or Google Pub/Sub, Databricks, AWS / GCP, Postgres, Protobuf, Snowflake or other Data Warehousing solutions, and Test Driven Development
- Ability to operate with strong ownership and independence
- AWS EMR, Athena, RDS (Postgres), Redshift, and S3
- Competitive cash compensation and benefits, the salary range for this position is €100,000 - €120,000 per year.
- Eligible for Company’s annual discretionary bonus program
- 37 holidays per year
- Continuing education stipend
- Cobee cards available for public transport, health insurance and restaurants
- Talented international team and a vibrant work environment
- Bottom-up management: we listen to your ideas and implement them
- Team building events
- Dog friendly office!
AirDNA seeks to attract the best-qualified candidates who support the mission, vision and values of the company and those who respect and promote excellence through diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, physical or mental disability, marital, familial or parental status, genetic information, military status, veteran status or any other legally protected classification. The company complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment and prohibits unlawful harassment based on any of the aforementioned protected classes at every location in which the company operates. This applies to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment including but not limited to: hiring, assessments, probation, placement, benefits, promotion, demotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, training and development, social and recreational programs, education assistance and retirement.
We are committed to making our application process and workplace accessible for individuals with disabilities. Upon request, AirDNA will reasonably accommodate applicants so they can participate in the application process unless doing so would create an undue hardship to AirDNA or a threat to these individuals, others in the workplace or the company as a whole. To request accommodation, please email [email protected]. Please allow for 24 hours to process your request.
By applying for the above position, you will confirm that you have reviewed and agreed to our Data Privacy Notice for Applicants.