Director, Data Platform at Checkr
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving understanding of the past. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $2.2B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
Checkr is looking for an experienced Director, Data Platform to lead the development and productization of our data, insights, and predictive analytics platform. Checkr’s customers and clients trust us to provide them with accurate and timely information to inform fair employment and business decisions. We are looking for someone who can lead the way as we seek to leverage all of the data we produce to help our customers and Checkr make more informed decisions. This work directly impacts our mission in creating a fairer future – come to help us change the world!
- Accountable for the development of Checkr’s data pipeline. You will partner with engineering leaders and teams across the company to ensure that we are producing and capturing data at the right time and in the right format from both our own products and third party systems that support our business.
- Owns the Checkr product data platform. You will lead the structuring and enriching of data generated by Checkr products to produce data marts, warehouses, reports, and analytics that power products and data science.
- You will hire, grow, and retain a team of talented data engineers, data analysts, and data scientists, providing staffing and contractor augmentation strategies as appropriate.
- Partner with product management to develop a suite of customer-facing data products, providing operational and decision making insights for large corporate customers.
What you bring:
- 10+ years of experience in product analytics, data science, or data engineering roles. (Experience leading more than one of these functions is highly preferred.)
- 7+ years of management experience directly supervising engineers, data scientists, and analysts.
- Demonstrable functional knowledge of data engineering proven practices including domain definition, data pipeline development (event streams and extracts), data warehousing, and experience with relational and NoSQL data stores.
- Demonstrable understanding of predictive and classification ML techniques and their practical applications.
- Exceptional project management, organization, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with large complex projects on web-scale and a track record of impact
- Deep technical understanding of how data and software platforms interact at scale.
- Strong grasp of lean and agile methodologies
- A mix of both startup and enterprise data experience is preferred
- Ability to design new programs, processes, drive alignment and change management
Nice to have:
- Experience working with customer-facing teams to prioritize product and development efforts
- Worked at a fast-growing startup
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or Engineering or experience in a related field
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $224,400-$264,000.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.