TS Security Engineer
The UL FIPS Laboratory performs compliance testing to evaluate compliance of products to the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) and prepares written evaluation compliance reports for submission to the validation authority. As a Security Engineer, the FIPS conformance tester must also be proactive and be able to work in a detail-oriented, deadline-driven environment.
The Security Engineer will perform both billable and non-billable tasks required to evaluate cryptographic IT products, which includes:
- Security analysis
- Documentation authoring
- Report writing
- Status reporting
- Audit-related tasks
- Source code review
- Operational testing
- Presentations and workshops
- Maintain/improve technical knowledge
Duties Will Include:
- Presentations and workshops with customers
- Cryptographic module design specification review
- Authoring of security documentation
- Preparation and execution of source code test plans including reporting observed test results
- Preparation and execution of operational test plans using port analyzers and debug tools which also includes reporting observed test results
- Performing other testing activities on an as-required/as-tasked basis
- Conducting all testing activities in accordance with all applicable standards and methodologies related to FIPS 140 validation
- Consulting the Lab Manager and senior engineers as applicable on all testing matters requiring clarification
- Self-directed study with the goal of eventually obtaining CVP tester certification
- The ability to successfully work in a team environment coupled with the ability to develop creative solutions
- Successful completion of a post-secondary program, in a field related to IT security, computer science or engineering
- Knowledge of common programming languages such as C\C++, Java, etc.
- Knowledge of Microsoft, Linux, and Unix Operating Systems
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent writing skills - must be able to prepare written reports
- Excellent English communication skills, along with the ability to articulate requirements in technical and non-technical terms to customers, peers, and management
- Basic knowledge of cryptography, cryptographic algorithms, and communication protocols
- Basic knowledge of wireless communication protocols (e.g., Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC)
- Familiarity with IT test tools and techniques (e.g., Wireshark)
Some domestic and international travel may be required (approximately 25% of the time).
Good presentation skills, proven experience in customer-facing advisory services, and technical expertise, which includes:
- Meeting all customer demands and delivery requirements
- Acting as a UL representative in the customer's environment
- Performing and prioritizing other duties as directed
- Consistently adhering and striving to perform all duties honestly and ethically to UL standards with integrity
- University Degree (Equivalent to Bachelors Degree) in Electronic/Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Electrical Engineering or a related discipline plus generally three years of related experience.
- Good skills in embedded systems preferred.
- Skills in developing codes in different languages (C, C++, assembly) preferred.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- A self-motivated team player who is able to work independently and likes to bring new ideas for technical development.
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn't new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 129 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and you'll almost always hear, "the people." Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We're able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers' create. We're inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: The salary range for this position is $80,000-$100,000 of the salary range and is based upon years of experience that is commensurate with the level of the position.
All employees at UL Solutions are eligible for annual bonus compensation. The target for this position is 5% of the base salary offered. Employees are eligible for health benefits such as medical, dental and vision; wellness benefits such as mental & financial health; and retirement savings (401K) commensurate with the standard rewards offered in each individual location or country, for the relevant position level.
We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation (15 days), holiday including floating holidays (12 days) and sick time off (72 hours).
Internal applicants with questions related to the Total Rewards for this position should submit a ticket via askHR for more insights.
Working at UL is an exciting journey that twists and turns daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our every day. This is our normal.
Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit UL.com.
A global leader in applied safety science, UL Solutions transforms safety, security, and sustainability challenges into opportunities for customers in more than 100 countries. UL Solutions delivers testing, inspection and certification services, together with software products and advisory offerings, that support our customers' product innovation and business growth.
The UL Certification Marks serve as a recognized symbol of trust in our customers' products and reflect an unwavering commitment to advancing our safety mission.
We help our customers innovate, launch new products and services, navigate global markets and complex supply chains, and grow sustainably and responsibly into the future.
From the adoption of electrification to the enablement of 5G and new mobility, we collectively look toward new frontiers, working for a safer world. Our science is your advantage.
Mission: Working for a safer world