Technician III - Materials and Processes at Ball Aerospace
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Technician III - Materials and Processes
Ball M&P desires to find a person of high integrity, strong desire to satisfy customers, willingness to perform routine testing, quick to learn new skills, willing to take on new assignments or do what is asked, and strong time management skills. This person needs to fit into the culture of the lab, “Our data can be questioned but never in question, Own the customer’s problem, and we step in when others step out.” Lab experience is not a necessity, but the person must be willing to safely work with chemicals. Persons with good fine motor skills and good pattern recognition tend to be highly successful in the tasks to which they will be assigned. This person will need to get things done quickly and accurately.
What You’ll Do:
- Perform all activities associated with a molecular and particle contamination laboratory, including but not limited to sampling of flight hardware within a cleanroom environment, process samples for molecular contamination, perform particle counts under a microscope and with automated equipment, identify materials using Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and interpreting spectra thereof.
- Perform all activities in environment testing laboratory, including operation and maintenance of vacuum/oven, thermal cycle equipment, perform testing of materials in those environments, interpret data, perform cryogenic tests and processes, and other related activities.
- Process, blend, apply, and test lubricants in a laboratory and production floor setting. Inspect lubricated parts for compliance, and other related activities.
- Test materials and assemblies for mechanical properties at elevated and cryogenic temperatures. Assist in designing experiments, programing instrumentation, and summarizing data.
- Perform instrumental analysis of materials for thermal properties at cryogenic and elevated temperatures in a laboratory setting. Process data in standard format and report.
- Test and evaluate materials and assemblies for electrostatic properties, set up workstations and equipment to support manufacture of electrostatic sensitive hardware, perform periodic testing of materials, workstations, and facilities, and other similar activities.
- Mix, blend, apply, process, and test adhesive systems to various substrates. Cure such materials at elevated temperature and pressure.
- Sample, titrate and maintain acidic and caustic baths.
- Process and perform cross sectional analysis and inspection using optical and digital microscopy.
- Work with chemicals, cryogenics, hand tools, and power tools in a safe manner within a laboratory setting.
- Work within general laboratory, machine shop, cleanroom, and production floor settings.
- Daily work effort is in support of existing test procedures and assist in development of new test protocols.
- Work on multiple campuses in the Boulder, Westminster, and Broomfield area.
- Work with minimal supervision, working to both verbal and written instruction.
- Accurately complete work in a timely manner.
- Support all programs at Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp, including but not limited to the Military, National Defense, and Civil business sectors.
- Reporting location will depend on business needs (Westminster, Broomfield, and/or Boulder campuses) and individual skill sets.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 6 years or more related experience or a related 2-year technical degree and 4 years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated computer and mechanical, electrical, and/or laboratory skills.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $24.04 - $32.45 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.