At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you'll make an impact
You are a leader at the intersection of product and engineering management. You'll maintain an environment in which your team can do their best work predictably and sustainably. You'll make sure the team has all the information they need and the right feedback loops in place to discover and deliver valuable, usable, and buildable outcomes. You'll help your team learn and improve, making local discoveries global. You'll look after the health of your team and their products, aiming for resilience.
What you'll do
- Drive a culture of engagement and improvement, making sure the team understands how they help our customers and our business achieve great outcomes.
- Talk with all appropriate areas of the organization to understand the inputs, outputs, and feedback loops in your team's value stream.
- Make sure your team understands and adheres to modern engineering practice in line with organization objectives.
- Build and maintain a positive and constructive relationship with the product owner to ensure the delivery pipeline is flowing at a predictable and sustainable pace, raising and addressing blockers as appropriate.
- Ensure the health of all the team's products is well understood by the team, discoverable by the wider organization, and able to be addressed should problems occur.
- Ensure the health of your team is monitored, that all members of your team are empowered to raise ideas and concerns, and that everyone contributes to improvements in how the teamworks together.
- Ensure that your own stream of work is sustainable, delegating where appropriate, and asking peers and your manager for help.
- Spend a proportion of your time improving your knowledge and skills in line with goals set with your manager.
- Meet regularly with your reports, drive each of your people to become the highest performing version of themselves they can be, using a variety of techniques which may include performance feedback, career development, coaching and mentoring.
- Spend a proportion of your time on people-focused tasks, including recruitment, leave and expense approvals and management.
- As needed, review and manage performance, remuneration and facilitate any remedial actions.
Success looks like
- Your team builds products that customers love and which achieve the intended business outcomes.
- Your team is highly engaged - everyone has a strong sense of purpose and feel they're contributing to making a positive difference in the world.
- You and your team maintain a predictable and sustainable delivery pace, reflect on practices and delivery, and constantly try to make improvements.
- Your reports grow in their responsibilities, capabilities, and contribution to their team and wider in the organization
What you'll bring with you
- Critical competencies:
- Passion for helping people fulfill their potential
- Transparent communication style
- Building effective relationships
- Coaching and mentorship
- Can self-manage and set priorities
- Growth mindset
- Empathy for others
- Pragmatic decision-making skills
- Strong collaboration skills
- Resilience to lean into challenging situations
- Prior leadership experience preferred
- Understanding of modern software delivery practices
- Understanding of modern product delivery practices
- Experience with agile practices
Xero celebrates diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where our employees can do the best work of their lives. We are committed to transparency and to equal pay for equal work. Total compensation for this role includes a base salary of $130,000 - 185,000, commensurate with experience.
Xero offers access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (in CA & CO only)
Xero will match 100% on the first 3% of 401k contributions plus 50% match on next 2% of contributions
Employees enjoy 21 days of paid time off per year
Employees also have 10 days of wellbeing leave to care for their minds, bodies, and families
US employees enjoy 12 paid holidays per year
Xero offers an industry-leading 26 weeks of parental leave at up to 100% pay
Xero offers a number of employee wellness programs, to include yoga, mindfulness and nutrition workshops, EAP, free flu shots, team meals, and a monthly wellbeing allowance
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, flexible working, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated. We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares and great parental leave policies.
Xero's collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you'll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Please note that we currently require all employees and contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work from a Xero office, or engage in any face-to-face Xero business. Xero will work with anyone who is not vaccinated, or prefers not to disclose their vaccination status, to determine if any reasonable accommodations can be provided to ensure their role can be performed safely whilst the restriction is in place..