Head of Fraud and Risk Operations, US at SumUp
Head of Fraud and Risk Operations, US
Here at SumUp we are proud of our amazing and challenging work environment, our multinational teams, the enthusiasm, and passion that everyone brings to the table. Why? Because we do things differently. With more than 2000 enthusiastic employees from more than 30 nations around the globe, we all come together to offer our merchants the best product and service. If you’re looking for a chance to participate and contribute your ideas, this is the right place for you.
We are inspired by a dream: payments should be easy, intuitive, and affordable to empower small merchants all over the world. Our vision as a global FinTech company is to build the first-ever global card acceptance brand. We are well on our way, as small businesses in over 33 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid. To get there, we are putting together an awesome team that is committed to one another and to our merchants.
SumUp is growing fast in the US and thus SumUp’s Fraud Risk team is looking for a new experienced Head of Fraud and Risk Operations for our office in Boulder, CO. In this role, you will lead all Fraud Risk efforts in the US market and collaborate with the global team to drive state of the art risk innovation. You will overlook a growing team of 4+ analysts, data scientists and product managers to conduct transaction monitoring, data analysis, design risk strategies, and enhance due diligence to identify and mitigate fraudulent activity at transaction and account levels.
Additionally, this position will work closely with SumUp’s onboarding and compliance teams to identify and appropriately report suspicious bad actor activity. If you believe you are the right fit for our expanding team, we would love to have you apply.
What will you do?
- Manage the US Fraud Risk operations team: responsible for the ongoing review of the effectiveness of the existing controls to prevent fraud and management of associated risks
- Lead major initiatives and the fraud prevention team in order to mitigate card not present fraud, effectively reduce chargeback rate, and improve Fraud Prevention Workflows
- Oversee customer disputes for US merchants and merchant chargeback investigations
- Build an effective daily operational function addressing Fraud related inquiries from internal business channels including Onboarding, Compliance, Marketing, and Support
- Drive improvement opportunities to enhance the US fraud prevention strategy
- Work in close partnership with the Product Managers and Engineering Managers to assist the engineering team on strategies that make sense both in terms of risk and opportunities.
- Write and update fraud prevention policies & procedures
- Provides direction to the team to drive daily work accordingly to meet goals and monitor KPI's.
What you should offer?
- 4+ years of experience in leading Risk, Fraud Prevention, chargeback/customer disputes and data analysis teams, especially for card not present products (ecom/online payments)
- Minimum 1 year of people management experience
- Previous Payments and FinTech industry experience preferred
- In-depth knowledge in Risk and Fraud discipline and deep knowledge of related disciplines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Actuarial Sciences, Operations Management, Criminal Justice, Law, Business or other quantitative, business or technical discipline
- Experience in working with and leading cross-functional teams
- Strong organizational and leadership skills with the ability to work in a flexible and fast-paced production-oriented environment
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to build collaborative relationships
- Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal / business partnering skills
- Strong data mindset. Working proficiency with data analysis/mining tools.
- Sound understanding of Anti-Fraud laws and regulations
What you will love about SumUp?
- Be part of a welcoming community of more than 2,000 people from over 52 nationalities
- Startup environment and small, cross-functional teams
- 50% employer-paid Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance and company-paid life insurance
- FSA & 401K Retirement Plan (up to 3.5% employer matching)
- Paid vacation and holidays immediately available upon hire
- Ongoing access to professional development tools, job training, and industry conferences
- Free on-site refreshments, snacks (fruits, cereals, nuts, etc.), and team meals
- Fun company outings, team events, birthday lunches, yoga, happy hours, hikes, etc.
SumUp encourages you to apply even if you don’t meet all requirements for the position. SumUp believes in supporting candidates and employees throughout their career journey so we encourage you to apply. SumUp is committed to a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace.
SumUp is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The salary range for this position in Boulder, CO is $125,000 to $150,000. Compensation will be finalized by candidate’s relevant work experience, skills, certifications and geographic location.
We believe in the everyday hero.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that the small business owners we partner with can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.