Claims TPA Manager
Greater Denver Area
Establish Pie as the leading commercial insurer among small business owners by creating the best possible claims experience for our customers and their team members.
How You’ll Do It
Pie Insurance is seeking a Claims Third Party Administrator (TPA) Manager to own all aspects of managing our workers’ compensation claims portfolio. This position will work closely with Pie’s TPA, CorVel, as well as our legal and compliance teams and the assigned claims adjusters to understand, review, and guide decisions regarding coverage, compensability, and loss control. You will partner with CorVel to ensure the injured team members are receiving prompt and appropriate medical care.
As with most start-ups, Pie is constantly evolving. Expect the day to day outlined here to change as our business grows. As we grow and change, your role will, too.
Whether It’s Right For You
You will be joining our team in our Denver office. Everything we do is connected, but we each have different roles. We are a start-up. All hands and minds are needed.
That means we need you to be an analytical thinker with a strong sense of accountability who can create a humanized claims process and own the relationship with our TPA. This is an experienced hire role. As a leader at Pie, you will be as comfortable and content managing projects and programs as you are managing people. At the outset, this role will expected to drive the relationship and deliverables with CorVel. We expect you’ll have spent enough time in the workers’ comp to make an immediate impact day one.
The Day to Day
- Setting and managing expectations within and outside Pie around the overall Workers Compensation (WC) claims process by conducting recurring claims reviews, developing investigation and closure strategies, and ensuring reserve and escrow allocations are adequate.
- Developing safety and/or loss controls programs for Pie’s customers leveraging your analysis of claims frequency, severity, costs and risk mitigation approaches.
- Performing monthly analysis to identify key drivers of new claims and develop mitigating strategies.
- Partnering with our internal teams (Engineering, UX, Finance, Legal, Customer Care, Product, Underwriting) and TPA in order to facilitate diversity in thought and drive to deliver results.
- Completing all monthly, quarterly, and annual State Reporting requirements on time and ensuring compliance.
- Managing, tracking and responding when necessary to subpoena/legal requests related to WC claims.
- Preparing analysis and business case justification for settlements requiring executive approval.
The Right Stuff
- Experience: 8+ years of workers’ compensation experience with a minimum of 3 years of experience managing a TPA or WC claims directly.
- California: Knowledge of and experience managing California claims strongly preferred.
- Diving Deep: Your attention to detail, experience and analytical competencies mean you know how to get the best results from the toughest situations. You understand the complexity of WC claims and why our relationship with CorVel is vital to our success.
- Collaboration: Your ability to articulate the issues, questions, and requirements is imperative. We communicate openly, freely, and frequently with our colleagues, customers, vendors, and insurance partners. We expect you to actively participate, listen, and share.
- Organizational Skills: You have no problem multitasking and organizing work and setting priorities by using data, your knowledge and experience to figure things out and pushing through the noise to find the right answer. You’ll need to keep track of multiple efforts and make sense of it all.
- Problem Solving: With a keen focus on customer experience, we are looking to provide a first class claims experience. A willingness to share your perspective to come up with the best possible solutions, whether it's through TPA partnership or on our own.
- Think Outside the Box: You’ve heard that before, but can you do it? We want your workers’ comp insight so you can quickly and readily identify new opportunities for Pie. Are are you ready to come up with a solution that is innovative, disruptive, and new? That’s the kind of person we want for this role. The ability to innovate is a must. Expect to constantly challenge the insurance industry status quo.
We're building Pie for the next generation of small businesses. Our team is on a mission to make workers’ compensation less expensive, simpler, and more transparent. Easy as pie, in fact.
Founded in 2017, Pie is a fast-growing insurtech startup with home offices in Washington, DC, and Denver, CO. Pie offers an incredible career opportunity where you can use your expertise to disrupt an industry and serve the SMB community. Invest your time doing meaningful work in a fast-paced environment where your contribution will have an immediate impact.
Pie, backed by trusted global insurer Sirius Group, continues to expand nationwide in 2019 as we scale our team and operations. Want a slice? In return for your commitment to us, you’ll get a piece of Pie in the form of stock options. At Pie, we’re invested in you, and you in us.
Read Full Job Description