Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving understanding of the past. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $2.2B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include, Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
As Senior Privacy Counsel, you will oversee Checkr’s privacy program, including compliance with GDPR, CCPA, international privacy laws, and privacy-by-design principles. Responsibilities also include providing legal support primarily to Checkr’s product and engineering teams. As we design and build tools that help businesses make informed hiring decisions and individuals understand and interact with their personal data, you will advise on privacy, consumer reporting, and employment laws as part of a diverse, and highly collaborative legal department.
- Advise the business and guide product development to comply with domestic and international privacy laws
- Analyze and help implement compliant solutions to existing and new legal privacy developments to ensure compliance with evolving privacy requirements
- Build, refine, and scale privacy and data protection compliance processes
- Collaborate cross-functionally and provide pragmatic guidance on compliance with privacy laws, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, international background check laws, and any applicable employment laws
- Respond to internal and external privacy and data protection inquiries
- Support security incident response team in responding to potential data breaches
What you bring:
- JD and a minimum of seven years legal experience and 2+ years of privacy experience in law firms, governmental agencies, and/or in-house legal departments. In-house experience at a consumer-facing technology company is strongly preferred.
- Member of the California or Colorado Bar (in good standing) or eligible to register as California/Colorado Registered In-House Counsel.
- Experience designing privacy compliance programs, policies, and processes.
- Ability to work on a broad range of legal matters and complete several simultaneous projects on a deadline.
- Experience leveraging creativity and strategic thinking to solve complex problems on a cross-functional basis.
- Self-motivated team player who can identify and resolve legal and business issues efficiently, drive projects, and earn the confidence of partners across the business.
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.