Employment Counsel (Remote) at Freshworks
Freshworks makes it fast and easy for businesses to delight their customers and employees. We do this by taking a fresh approach to building and delivering affordable, quick to implement, and designed software for the end-user. More than 50,000 companies -- from startups to public companies -- worldwide use Freshworks software-as-a-service to enable a better customer experience (CRM) and employee experience (ITSM, HRSM).
Headquartered in San Mateo, California, Freshworks has a dedicated team operating from 13 global locations to serve customers, including American Express, Sony, Vice Media, TaylorMade, Stitchfix, OfficeMax, Multichoice, Delivery Hero, ITV, and Klarna.
Freshworks transforms the way world-class organizations collaborate with customers and co-workers. The suite includes Freshdesk (omnichannel customer support), Freshsales (sales automation), Freshmarketer (marketing automation), Freshservice (IT service desk), Freshteam (HR management system).
We're seeking a hands-on, sharp and experienced Employment Counsel to join our legal team to provide practical and clear legal advice on a broad range of personnel-related topics and ensure Freshworks' compliance with labor laws in line with its business goals. You will be a member of our legal team and will work closely with our internal clients including Human Resources, Finance, Legal and business stakeholders. We are looking for a thoughtful, creative and collaborative individual, who will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and intellectually challenging work environment.
- Provide legal and strategic advice on a broad range of personnel related matters including recruiting, onboarding, performance management, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour law, anti-discrimination and retaliation, internal investigations, pay equity, terminations and other related legal issues. Draft, revise and advise regarding employment-related agreements (including offer letters, confidentiality and intellectual property agreements, and separation agreements).
- Collaborate with the relevant internal teams on the development and implementation of scalable personnel-related policies and processes to ensure best practices and compliance with applicable laws and regulations and consistency among all regional HR teams.
- Partner with cross-functional teams, including the Legal and Executive Teams, to provide strategic, business-oriented employment law guidance for successful execution of company initiatives
- Collaborate with the Human Resources and Legal teams to generate and implement trainings for personnel globally.
- Manage personnel-related investigations and disputes, including demand letters and litigations. Investigate and respond to federal and state administrative complaints (including EEOC and local agency charges).
- Monitor labor law developments globally in locations where Freshworks has personnel, and liaise with local in-country counsel for advice and consistency. Advise the business on these developments with practical solutions.
- Provide legal guidelines and support regarding the company's contingent workforce and agency workers.
- Advocate for finding the "right" solution, which is one that is compliant and meets business goals, while ensuring we remain committed to Freshworks' core values and our people.
- Juris Doctor degree
- Admitted to practice and in good standing with one or more state bar in the US
- 6+ years of combined law firm and in-house experience at a U.S.-based technology company with 4+ years of employment counseling experience
- Prior in-house or law firm experience advising and supporting a global workforce on employment law related matters.
- In-depth working knowledge and experience with advising multi-state and multi-country employer(s) on various personnel related legal issues and the relevant laws and regulations across United States, India, EU, Australia and other jurisdictions.
- Flexibility and willingness to approach legal challenges with a business-partner mentality to provide solution-oriented results that balance risk with business goals.
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential information requiring a high level of discretion, respect, and integrity. Ability to discern matters that require privacy and confidentiality, and matters that benefit from broader input and collaboration.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and analytical skills who can take legalese and make it easy to read for a diverse workforce spanning the globe.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, be creative and analyze risk in an environment of change and ambiguity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and business judgment with a dedication to teamwork, integrity, and collegiality
- Experience at working independently and have a proven track record of being able to work effectively, prioritize and manage multiple matters simultaneously in a fast-paced, dynamic, and highly engaged environment. Ability to recognize when to ask for help or escalate issues.