Assistant General Counsel - Compliance and Litigation (Remote)
ezCater is the most trusted provider of corporate food solutions and is purpose-built for business. ezCater's corporate food platform and flexible, scalable food solutions allow organizations to centralize and track their food spend, and fulfill everything from daily employee meals to client meetings and company all-hands. ezCater backs this up with business-grade, best-in-class, customer service and an unmatched nationwide footprint. We're backed by top investors including Insight, Iconiq, Lightspeed, GIC, SoftBank, and Quadrille.
The Assistant General Counsel – Compliance and Litigation will serve as a key member of ezCater’s legal department and primarily be responsible for overseeing legal compliance of ezCater’s activities and managing its litigation and dispute resolution matters. Additional responsibilities will include managing ezCater’s insurance program. This role will report to the General Counsel.
What You'll Do:
- Research, monitor and provide practical legal analysis, strategy, and advice to internal stakeholders regarding existing and emerging consumer protection and other laws and regulations applicable to ezCater’s current and proposed business activities, including relating to privacy, payments, food and beverage, online communications, advertising, and employment.
- Assist in the development and implementation of internal controls, policies, procedures, and trainings to support compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Coordinate internal compliance review and monitoring activities.
- Report on ezCater’s compliance posture to senior leadership and the Audit Committee.
- Represent ezCater in regulatory inquiries and examinations, as well as external audits and similar reviews.
- Manage and advise senior leadership on litigation claims and defenses, investigations, and high-risk pre-litigation matters.
- Lead and manage the activities of outside counsel, including actively determining litigation strategy, developing discovery plans, establishing budgets, coordinating internal team support, and identifying proactive mitigation plans.
- Maintain engagement with key external parties and entities, including counterparts at other companies in the industry, key government agencies, and outside counsel network.
- Review, analyze, and keep current on litigation developments affecting ezCater’s business.
- Report key litigation matters to the Audit Committee.
- Maintain communication and compliance with ezCater’s insurance carriers.
- Lead the strategic development and management of ezCater’s business insurance program.
- Negotiate all insurance and claim management terms and conditions and manage key relationships with insurers, underwriters, brokers, and vendors.
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement alterative risk financing options as the insurance market and ezCater’s business needs evolve.
- Serve as the internal subject matter expert for issues pertaining to risk, claims management and insurance, including advising internal teams on insurance requirements in contracts with third parties.
What You Have:
- J.D. degree from ABA-accredited law school
- Admission to, and good standing in, any state bar or the District of Columbia bar
- 12+ years of legal experience at a law firm and/or in-house environment, including 8+ in litigation practice
- 5+ years’ experience managing business insurance programs
- Familiarity with consumer protection and employment laws, such as privacy, payments, online communications, and advertising, preferably with an ecommerce company, and a desire to become expert in these and other areas of law applicable to ezCater
- Demonstrated ability to proactively identify issues, make complex cost/benefit assessments based on business objectives and an appropriate balancing of legal risks and business needs, and identify pragmatic/creative legal and business solutions
- Commitment to working collaboratively with colleagues at all levels to gain trust and drive appropriate outcomes
- Proven success leading and effecting change and improvements
ezCater does not sponsor applicants for work visas or legal permanent residence.
What You’ll Get from Us:
You’ll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. You’ll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and you’ll get all this: Market salary, stock options that you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, remote-hybrid work from our awesome Boston or Denver offices OR your home OR a mixture of both home and office (you choose!), a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) when you’re in one of our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.