Technical Intern - Tactical Mission Analyst - Modeling & Simulation at Ball Aerospace (Greater Denver Area, CO)
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
The Ball Aerospace Internship Program is a 10-week summer program that provides interns with practical experience working on relevant projects while working with designated mentors; access to state-of-the-art equipment; a competitive wage; relocation reimbursement; in-house training; group activities; possible future employment and the ability to participate in the Ball Aerospace Remote Sensing Team (BIRST) program to build and launch a rocket or high-altitude balloon. At the conclusion of your internship, you will be required to prepare and deliver a formal presentation of your project work to your respective department.
Technical Intern - Tactical Mission Analyst – Modeling & Simulation
Do you love solving problems and have a passion to understand how things work? Does learning new fields and applying your analytical skills to real-life problems sound like your dream job? If so, you might be the undergraduate intern that Ball Aerospace is seeking to support our mission analysis team. Join our small, collaborative team working on exciting new problems in the defense world to help the warfighter and to help bring our troops home safely.
This is an opportunity to use and develop many of the tools in your toolbox, including mathematics, coding, and public speaking. Our agile, tight-knit group chooses what we work on from a list of new, interesting, and challenging problems. By applying mathematics and first-principles physics, we solve difficult engineering problems across a wide span of technologies and disciplines.
Based in Westminster, Colorado, Ball Aerospace Tactical Solutions applies radio frequency and electro-optical technologies to the nation’s defense needs. With over 60 years of heritage, our products are installed on an ever-growing list of our nation’s platforms.
What You’ll Do:
- Generate MATLAB simulations of system performance using first-principles physics while increasing complexity as needed.
- Determine if a system can accomplish its mission in a variety of complex scenarios.
- Identify the appropriate technology to pursue or algorithm improvements necessary to expand system capability.
- Learn new fields and technologies while identifying the appropriate level of detail required.
- Present and defend your analysis to peers, management, and directly to customers.
- Facilitate rapid prototyping by deriving system performance requirements and working with small, specialty engineering teams.
- Participate in system and hardware evaluation, data collection, lab tests, and field tests.
- Assist with meeting project milestones and providing solutions to a variety of technical problems.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Must have completed your sophomore or junior year and be enrolled in a degree program for the fall of 2022. We will also accept students enrolled in a post graduate program.
- Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Physics, Engineering Physics, Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering degree preferred.
- Coursework in Computer Science, Applied Math preferred.
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and communication skills, as well as knowledge of MATLAB and object-oriented programming.
- Interest or knowledge in electromagnetics, antennas, RF technology, optics, signal processing, and/or electronic warfare is preferred.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $19.30 - $27.50 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- For TPT/TFT Jobs: Temporary positions typically are not eligible for benefits. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.