Sovrn is seeking an experience attorney to assume the role of General Counsel. As General Counsel you would be responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. The General Counsel provides senior management with quick and thoughtful advice on a variety of matters. The position is responsible for developing risk management and other strategic initiatives and their implementation, manages the company’s legal affairs, and oversees the work of outside counsel. The General Counsel is directly involved in complex business transactions, including the negotiation of business critical contracts.
- Corporate Governance: Manages corporate minute books, assumes responsibility that company conducts its business in compliance with Delaware law, SEC and other applicable securities laws and regulations. Advises on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Outside Counsel: Manages selection, retention, and evaluation of outside counsel. Expertise retaining the right level of counsel at the right fee structure/budget. Ability to manage and accurately forecast legal fees to an annual budget
- Contract and Transaction Support: Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures. Review and negotiate customer and business partner contracts. Draft and negotiate privacy and data protection terms for revenue, vendor, and business partner agreements
- Compliance: Acts as Compliance Officer and Data Protection Officer for the Company. Provides the following:
- Partners closely with and advise our security, product and other business teams on privacy and data protection-related legal matters
- Evaluates the impact of U.S. and international legislative, regulatory, legal developments and industry guidelines involving privacy and security
- Participates in cross-functional company projects related to data protection and privacy by design and default
- Drives EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance initiative.
- Develops and leads internal audit and corporate compliance programs
- Legal Policies and Program Management: Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.Developing and leading corporate legal strategy to promote and protect the Company. Provide expert and strategic legal advice to management.
- Manage Risk/Manage Litigation: Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors. Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action. Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically. Identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks. Judges the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted.
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one US state bar
- 7-10 years of relevant experience, at a law firm or in-house
- Experience with or knowledge of U.S. and international privacy and data protection laws, regulations and standards
Position Reports to: CFO