US Tax Analyst at Xero
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you'll make an impact:
As a business analyst on our US tax team, you'll use your vast knowledge of the US federal and state tax landscapes to work with development teams, ensuring we're ahead of the game with compliance needs, regulatory changes, and the evolving needs of small businesses, bookkeepers, and accountants.
You will research, collect, analyze, and prioritize requirements from taxing authorities, marketing, support, customers, and other sources to support Xero growing its tax footprint in the US. You'll focus on identifying requirements, then triaging and developing these requirements alongside the wider Product team. You'll demonstrate your deep subject matter expertise in US taxation at every step.
This role could be based in one of our offices or remotely - Mountain and Pacific timezones preferred
What you'll do:
- In collaboration with regional Product Risk and Compliance experts, identify and interpret key technical compliance and regulatory needs around sales tax, and then document to support Xero's US tax solutions and market needs
- Research and provide solutions to any technical product compliance queries that may arise, including supporting our customer support team on product issues raised by our clients
- Represent US Tax team in meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- Be an active member of the US community of technical regulatory subject matter experts and represent US Tax team on the internal regulatory forums
- Work with the Product Risk and Compliance Team to maintain the Product Risk Register and Regulatory Radar for US Tax related matters
What you'll bring:
- At minimum, a US Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Tax/Accounting; CPA or LLM in Taxation strongly preferred
- At least 5+ years experience in US indirect (sales) tax; 2+ years experience in US income tax
- Extensive knowledge of the US tax system, with an emphasis on sales and transactional tax
- A mastery of tax research and the ability to distill information into clear and concise requirements that can be understood by all
- Expertise in all aspects of US sales tax, including tax calculations, exemptions, reporting, and filing requirements
- Ability to work cross functionally with remote teams across multiple time zones; may require daily work hours outside those typical for your time zone
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to prioritize across multiple teams and workstreams
- A customer first mindset, putting the customer and their needs at the heart of all you do
- Experience in product development or working with product and development teams would be an asset, but is not essential
Xero celebrates diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where our employees can do the best work of their lives. We are committed to transparency and to equal pay for equal work. Total compensation for this role includes a competitive base salary, commensurate with experience, plus an annual grant of Xero shares, calculated as a percentage of base salary.
Xero offers access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (in CA & CO only)
Xero will match 100% on the first 3% of 401k contributions plus 50% match on next 2% of contributions
Employees enjoy 21 days of paid time off per year
Employees also have 10 days of wellbeing leave to care for their minds, bodies, and families
US employees enjoy 12 paid holidays per year
Xero offers an industry-leading 26 weeks of parental leave at up to 100% pay
Xero offers a number of employee wellness programs, to include yoga, mindfulness and nutrition workshops, EAP, free flu shots, team meals, and a monthly wellbeing allowance
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated.
We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares and great parental leave policies. Xero's collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you'll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Please note that we currently require all employees and contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work from a Xero office, or engage in any face-to-face Xero business. Xero will work with anyone who is not vaccinated, or prefers not to disclose their vaccination status, to determine if any reasonable accommodations can be provided to ensure their role can be performed safely whilst the restriction is in place.