Revenue Manager at Invitae (Formerly ArcherDx)
The Revenue Manager, reporting directly to the Senior Manager of Revenue, is a pivotal new role at Invitae. Revenue recognition in the life science industry, specifically the diagnostics field, is uniquely different than in other industries. It's subjective, deals with big data and quite complex. Recent acquisitions have expanded the types of revenue streams and accounting which have further increased the complexity of the Company. We are looking for a unique individual who is excited by these challenges and is committed to developing a deep understanding of the business model. Additionally, he or she will partner closely with the Billing & Reimbursement, Information Technology and Commercial teams to understand key trends, judgement areas and advise as necessary in shaping business initiatives and IT solution requirements to ensure accurate revenue recognition.
The Revenue Manager will serve as a subject matter expert on all key revenue accounting rules, helping the Company set policies and procedures compliant with accounting rules and SOX. This individual will ensure the close process is efficient and effective with a focus on the accuracy of revenue reporting (both from management and external reporting perspectives).
Key aspects of the role include:
- Develop a solid understanding of the business model in order to appropriately apply technical accounting guidance and GAAP interpretations
- Lead a high performing revenue function and scale the group’s knowledge and capabilities as Invitae grows
- Responsible for monthly close and reporting process assisting team with preparation and review of revenue journal entries and account analysis
- Participate in recurring status update, forecast and review meetings with internal business partners
- Enhance current SOX controls and develop new controls as the Company continues to expand and evolve.
- Manage and synthesize large amounts of data into useful information using Excel, Tableau and other analytical tools to illustrate findings, analyze trends and report results.
- Work closely with business leaders from IT, Billing & Reimbursement and Commercial and participate in initiatives for ongoing process and systems improvements to increase compliance, integrity and scalability
- Develop reporting tools and metrics to measure success of cash collections process in partnership with Billing and Reimbursement leaders
- Develop and maintain controls related to revenue recognition and receivables process
- Review and assess contracts to determine proper revenue recognition and billing. Stays abreast of contractual changes that impact revenue and suggests changes as appropriate to the current process.
- Prepare ad hoc revenue analysis as requested and respond to auditor queries
Who You Are
- You have superb analytical skills matched with great communication abilities.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment and consistently overachieve.
- You have a strong technical accounting background as it relates to ASC 606.
- You have experience overseeing multiple projects and teams at the same time.
- You are used to applying a high degree of judgment and are regularly asked for your opinion from others on how to apply judgment to large data sets due to your business insight.
- You are curious and when something does not make sense, you dive in to investigate; looking at the data and identifying the questions and conversations that need to take place.
- In previous roles you demonstrated a strong aptitude for dealing with large data sets and translating your findings using effective methods for various stakeholders.
- You have demonstrated the ability to prioritize and track projects for a revenue function, proactively anticipate business needs and drive results.
- Your education in accounting/finance has provided you with a solid foundation but your work experience has given you the skills to stand out and contribute at a high level and motivate others to achieve outstanding results.
- You have been a resource at your current company for all things related to revenue recognition and have a strong grasp of U.S. GAAP accounting rules.
- Others around you utilize your Excel expertise, and you have familiarity with data warehouses and BI tools.
- CPA license
- Minimum of 5 years of public accounting experience required
- Industry experience preferred but not required
- Location: San Francisco preferred but not required. Flexibility with remote work.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.