Accounting Manager at Pie Insurance
Sorry, this job was removed at 5:44 a.m. (MST) on Tuesday, September 14, 2021
Pie Insurance is an insurtech company tackling meaningful problems. At Pie, we work with small businesses using technology and innovation to improve how they access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. So, at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us.
Pie is currently a Managing General Agency (MGA), but we are launching a risk-bearing insurance company subsidiary which will eventually become responsible for issuing all of Pie's insurance policies. As the Accounting Manager, you will be responsible for helping build and maintain the statutory and GAAP accounting and reporting functions for this new entity as well as for related insurance premium and loss reporting for our reinsurance partners. You will work alongside our corporate accounting and finance teams and become a trusted partner, assisting in the implementation of new financial systems, processes, and procedures. You will manage a team of staff accountants to ensure accurate and timely preparation of accounting work papers. This role is critical to the success of our insurance industry growth, and we want you along for the ride.
Today, all Pie-oneers are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. As a remote team member, you will be expected to be available for meetings with team members in other time zones and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
In this role, you will report to the Division Controller within our Finance and Accounting team based in Washington, DC. This role will work in our DC office once our office re-opens. However, we will consider this role for continued remote work within the United States once our offices reopen with up to 20% travel to DC.
How You'll Do It
- Build and maintain the statutory and GAAP accounting and reporting functions:
- Own the monthly accounting close process related to our insurance holding company and insurance carriers under U.S. GAAP and statutory-basis accounting.
- Prepare journal entries, reconciliations, and variance analyses in accordance with internal company policy to support our U.S. GAAP and statutory-basis financial statements.
- Assist in developing and maintaining documentation of current accounting policies to ensure compliance with Statements of Statutory Accounting Principles (SSAP’s) and U.S. GAAP.
- Assists in the implementation of new financial systems, processes, and procedures:
- Work closely with Claims, Analytics and Reinsurance teams to facilitate timely reporting of information needed to support the close and to compile quarterly and annual external reporting.
- Assist in the preparation of NAIC Quarterly and Annual Statements reported to insurance departments.
- Improve existing accounting processes wherever possible with a special focus on effective internal controls.
- Support year-end financial statement audits by preparing workpapers and working directly with external auditors.
- Partner with the Finance team to analyze historical results and improve information quality. Assist with ad hoc projects and requests as needed.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of accounting work papers:
- Mentor, develop and grow team members on your team for future needs and operational excellence.
- Manage staff workload and responsibilities. Ensure adherence to deadlines while maintaining high quality work product and thorough documentation.
- Review and approve journal entries, reconciliations and other work performed by accounting staff.
The Right Stuff
- Bachelors in Accounting or Finance from an accredited college or university is required.
- Active CPA or currently pursuing a certification is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant public accounting or industry experience is required.
- A minimum of 3 years of P&C insurance experience is required.
- A minimum of 2 years of people management experience is preferred.
- Senior: Advanced communication (written, verbal and presentation) skills, to deliver complex information effectively and align people with the needs of the project/team.
- Problem Solving:
- Intermediate: Intermediate problem solving skills to be able to manage complex tasks and work through to solutions with little guidance and direction.
- Senior: Advanced awareness of workflow, and project tradeoffs to make decisions based on needs now and into the future.
- Developing: Basic leadership skills and some general experience leading work groups or task forces in specific projects.
- Technology Tools:
- G-Suite Tools, Collaboration tools (Slack is preferred), basic office machines.
- Previous experience with NAIC quarterly and annual statement preparation is preferred.
- Proficiency in U.S. GAAP and statutory-basis accounting.
- Proficient understanding of insurance financial operations, reinsurance, and premium reconciliation is preferred.
- Experience with WingsPlus/Sovos and Workiva preferred.
- Ability to apply technical accounting knowledge to real-world business transactions.
- Ability to develop, implement and document effective internal controls.
- Self-starter and self-motivated to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Organized, detail-oriented and deadline-driven.
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional team members.
- Advanced communication (written, verbal and presentation) skills, to deliver complex information effectively and align people with the needs of the project/team.
- Intermediate problem solving skills to be able to manage complex tasks and work through to solutions with little guidance and direction.
- Advanced awareness of workflow, and project tradeoffs to make decisions based on needs now and into the future.
- Strong Excel skills and ability to work with large data sets.
- Competitive salary.
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options).
- Comprehensive health plans.
- Generous PTO.
- Paid sick leave.
- Future focused 401k match.
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
- Generous parental leave.
Compensation & Benefits
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie. That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $115,000 - $130,000
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic
.Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding