We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
The Resilience Engineering group at Datadog focuses on improving resilience in our software and staff. We work on defining our on-call tooling and incident response process for the entire company, constantly iterating on it through the lessons we learn from production. We help out during the most complex production incidents - our Resilience Engineers excel in troubleshooting and have a passion for problem solving and efficiency. We also build the Chaos Platform and Tooling so that engineers can use a measured approach to break and test for system resilience and reproduce past bugs/incidents to verify their remediation. Being prepared to deal with unknown failures both from a technical and organizational standpoint is the core work of Chaos Engineers.
We are a globally distributed team with US Offices in New York (HQ), Boston, and Denver and International Offices in Paris, Dublin, London, Madrid, the Netherlands, and Singapore. About 33% of our engineering team are remote.
Datadog values people from all walks of life. We understand that not everyone will meet these requirements on day one. If you’re passionate about reliability engineering and want to grow these skills but don’t meet all of these qualifications, we encourage you to apply.
- You will help review complex issues in production and write postmortems in partnership with other engineering teams.
- You will get to contribute in the development of our self-service chaos platform implemented on top of Kubernetes.
- You will get to help define for the whole company how we respond to incidents and build tooling along the way to streamline that process. You will also help train our on-call staff, preparing newcomers to their on-call responsibilities but also refreshing the rest of the staff with what we’ve learnt from past incidents.
- 5+ years of software or reliability engineering experience.
- An analytical mindset and willingness to dive into unfamiliar code bases and find obscure bugs.
- You have architected, built, and operated distributed systems to solve problems at high scale in cloud-based environments.
- You have been on-call for critical systems and you have experience handling incidents using a formal organization process.
- You want to work in a fast-paced, high-growth environment that respects its engineers and customers.
- You've worked on chaos or resilience engineering projects before.
- You’ve been an Incident Commander or have contributed to defining an incident response process.
- You have Linux/Kubernetes experience.
- You have experience in cross-team, cross-functional projects.
Datadog values people from all walks of life. We understand that not everyone will meet these requirements on day one. If you’re passionate about resilience engineering and want to grow these skills but don’t meet all of these qualifications, we encourage you to apply.
Additional requirements for Colorado Residents:
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Rule (“EPT”)
If you are a Colorado resident this applies to you:
At Datadog, we are committed to providing competitive pay and benefits that are in line with industry standards. We analyze and carefully consider several factors when determining compensation, including your work history and professional experience. These considerations potentially can cause your compensation to vary.
The Software Engineer - Resilience has an annual starting salary of $100,000, plus a competitive equity package. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Total compensation may further vary depending on if this role is eligible for discretionary bonuses, or commissions. In addition, Datadog offers a wide range of employee benefits. To learn more about Benefits click here.
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.