Invitae (NYSE: NVTA) is a leading medical genetics company trusted by millions of patients and their providers to deliver timely genetic information using digital technology. We aim to provide accurate and actionable answers to strengthen medical decision-making for individuals and their families. Invitae's genetics experts apply a rigorous approach to data and research, serving as the foundation of their mission to bring comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people.
We are looking for an experienced Systems Engineer to help support Enterprise IT across terrestrial data centers, and cloud-based deployments. Our Systems Engineers integrate with Infrastructure Operations to support Lab Operations, High Performance Computing (HPC), Bioinformatics, and Invitae’s business leads across teams. They will assist with operational support for new and existing services, as well as leading engineering and architecture programs to improve production systems. Candidates should be able to perform functions required to configure, support and tackle issues with large scale computing environments hosted in a co-lo facility and in Amazon Web Services (AWS).What you’ll do:
- Lead and support VMware Deployments, Active Directory, (DNS, DHCP, RADIUS and other services).
- Support and maintain various Fiber Channel and Ethernet based storage systems including Vast and Pure Storage.
- Collaborate and evaluate designs for the required architecture to Migrate workloads to cloud.
- Collaborate with DevOps and Cloud Engineering to help improve our infrastructure
- Work with our Bioinformatics group to maintain and improve our HPC cluster.
- Configure and maintain cluster resource management system (Grid Engine) to ensure optimal resource allocation based on organizational needs.
- Support consumers of the cluster by helping with troubleshooting and performance analysis of jobs running on HPC.
- Relentlessly look for ways to simplify and automate our environment
- Partner with the Information Security team to prevent and remediate security issues
- Participate in on-call responses to incidents including crafting fixes and improving systems
- Take feature requests from business partners, prioritize, and implement as appropriate
- Automate functions using PowerShell or other similar programming languages
- Role will require some on-call support, and ad-hoc support during operational outages.
- Preferred: Ability to support physical hardware Co-located in Santa Clara, CA as needed. (This is primarily a remote work from home role)
- Typically with 8-12 years of experience with equal experience in Cloud computing environments (Amazon Web Services preferred)
- Proficiency in VMware VSphere and cloud management technologies
- Proficiency in supporting and maintaining Linux based systems
- Scripting or programming skills in Bash, Go, Python, or Java in a Linux environment
- Experience supporting containerized workflows (Docker, Singularity) in a production environment
- Equal experience in HPC and large-scale storage as well as Cloud computing environments (AWS preferred)
- Willingness to pick up and implement new technologies quickly to increase efficiencies and reduce latencies throughout our production and development environments
- Proven troubleshooting skills with an affinity towards mentoring and documenting solutions.
- Experience deploying and leading hybrid and/or cloud-native HPC environments in AWS.
- Familiarity with configuration management/automation, (SaltStack (preferred), Ansible, Puppet, Chef), orchestration and infrastructure provisioning tools
- Experience with bootstrap tools for bare metal provisioning of on-premise distributed computing platforms (packer, ironic, cobbler, etc.)
- Preferred: Experience building, supporting, and maintaining genomics or other intensive pipeline workloads in a HPC environment
- Preferred: Knowledge of cluster software and batch job scheduling software such as Grid Engine, Slurm, PBS, etc.
- Preferred: Experience deploying AWS environments via Terraform.
At Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s specialists in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. Our teams thrive in our dynamic organization which has been crafted to empower them to make the biggest impact they can for our patients. We give our employees the ability to explore interests and capabilities broadly within the organization. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility. We also provide excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
Please apply even if you don’t meet all of the “What you bring” requirements noted. It’s rare that someone checks every single item, it’s ok, we encourage you to apply anyways.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We truly believe a diverse workplace is crucial to our company's success and to better serve our diverse patients. Your input is especially valuable. We’d greatly appreciate it if you can take a quick moment to make your selection(s) below. Submissions will be anonymous.
You can find a detailed explanation of our privacy practices here.