Senior Software Engineer, C/C++ at Zoom Video Communications
Zoomies help the world connect — and deliver happiness while doing it. We set out to build the best video conferencing product for the enterprise, and today help people communicate better with products like Zoom Phone, Zoom Rooms, Zoom Video Webinars, Zoom Apps, and OnZoom.
We’re problem-solvers and self-starters, working at a fast pace to design solutions with our customers and users in mind. Here, you’ll work across teams to dig deep into impactful projects that are changing the way people communicate, and enjoy opportunities to advance your career in a diverse, inclusive environment.
Zoom is growing at an explosive pace by every measure - revenues, people, innovation, and customers. Led by Eric S. Yuan, the #1 ranked CEO on Glassdoor, our unique culture makes Zoom an awesome place to work. We are expanding teams across the organization. If you are motivated by delivering happiness, come join us at Zoom!
The Zoom Async Communication (back-end) team works on high impact projects that serve hundreds of millions of users every day. Cool, right! To work for such an Internet service with high scalability and high performance demand, you will be exposed to / learn popular internet stacks such as NoSql (HBase, DynamoDB, Cassandra), REST, Cloud, Kubernetes, Docker, Amazon S3, etc. You will have the opportunity to work on a team of extremely talented engineers to create and own a very challenging service with Silicon Valley's suite of popular tech stacks.
As a Senior Software Engineer (C/C++), you will have the opportunity to work across our stack, developing software ranging from Web Server to business application layer for our distributed, cloud-hosted backend.
What you’ll do:
- Design and implement C/C++ features to improve the backend system.
- Use modern C++ 11/14/17 features to store and operate BigData database (We are using NoSQL database hbase). Volume of data decides that your business logic must be performant (handle millions of requests per second), scalable (zoom user space can increase 1000% quarter by quarter), and secure (zoom client communications are secure, no 3rd party can see the encrypted data except communicators).
- Be familiar with popular open source frameworks, such as GFlags, GLogger, and tools such as GDB, tcpdump to help you implement and troubleshoot issues during development and in production. Because of the service load, your service must be resource efficient (for example, write more efficient algorithms, use less memory and CPU).
- Designing and implementing web servers APIs (application programming interfaces). All our services are web based. You need to be familiar with REST (Representational state transfer) standard and design new API as demand.
- Implement an apache module to connect your web service handler to power apache web server to serve requests.
- Bringing up our web-based system on server platforms and work with DevOps to deploy your service to the Kubernetes cluster. You will need to package your service to a standard package with flexible configuration.
- Add rich stats in your code and work with DevOps to reflect the stats in the monitoring dashboard and set up alerts to trigger alarm for potential production issues.
- MS/PhD in Computer Science, EE, with at least 5 years (MS) or 3 years (Ph.D) industry experience
- Solid computer background, took many educational courses such as operating system, compiler, database management, data structure, algorithm, software engineering.
- Proficient on C/C++, could write performant, robust applications.
- Linux development experience preferred.
- Familiar with HTTP protocol.
- Familiar with some script language, such as python, PHP, shell scripting, etc.
- Large scale internet backend experience
- Familiarity with security (KPI) is a big plus
- Familiarity with Kubernetes is a big plus
Hear from our leadership team
Browse Awards and Employee Reviews on Comparably
Visit our Blog
Zoom with us!
Find us on social at the links below and on Instagram