Company. What we are building:
Skupos is the data platform for the convenience retail industry. Retailers, distributors, and brands connect to the Skupos network to create value from disparate data. Convenience retail is a long-standing industry with limited technology adoption, but is responsible for more revenue annually than all of e-commerce in the United States. Skupos leverages our massive datasets to build tools that help the industry succeed.
Skupos software integrates at a retailer’s point of sale, generates analytical insights, and enables promotion execution and performance tracking. For distributors and CPG brands, we provide real-time visibility into consumer purchasing decisions and enable automated promotional discounts at the point of sale. We view our company as revolutionizing a brick-and-mortar industry by bringing cutting-edge technology to physical stores, and helping harness data to create a frictionless connection between millions of people and the products they need.
Role. An overview of the opportunity:
Skupos is seeking a Senior Software Engineer (Backend) for a thriving development team. We are a tight knit group with a team first mentality. We strive to achieve our product development efforts through our team culture, clean code, and hard work!
You are a strong and experienced engineer who has substantial professional experience working in object-oriented languages and frameworks such as Ruby on Rails. You have the desire to lead, design, and implement features in a large Rails application. You are able to turn complex business requirements into elegant and maintainable code. You have experience creating stable and reliable integrations between separate business systems. You like making a measurable impact on the business and consistently seek to drive business value through technological solutions. You are a self-starter requiring minimal supervision, and you are motivated and inspired delivering high quality work to make a big business impact.
Responsibilities. Your responsibilities will include:
- Contribute features to our suite of Ruby on Rails and Node.js web applications
- Extend and maintaining our webapp, collaborating on design and product to advance our platform
- Develop and enforcing best practices for a high quality, maintainable codebase
- Develop and optimize SQL queries supporting mission critical operations & new feature initiatives
- Thoroughly test all the things with integration and unit tests
- Coordinate with team on project preparations; assist in developing project plans and proposals
- Track project progress, ensure timely completion and create transparency
- Research and recommend new technologies that will enhance team performance, improve project delivery times and decrease development stack overhead
- Contribute to the team by collaboratively finding solutions to Skupos’ toughest problems
- Help grow other team members through mentorship & hands-on guidance
Skills. We are looking for an individual with:
- Test-driven development (e.g. RSpec)
- Unit testing
- SQL (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- In-memory caching and search indexing
- Worker thread pattern and job queues
- MVC Frameworks (Rails, Django, Sinatra)
- OOP, FP, design patterns, data structures
- Building REST APIs (GraphQL experience even better)
- Client side technology (React, ES6, Webpack)
- JS frameworks such as React, Angular or Vue
- Scaling web applications
- Build and deployment automation
- Experience with infrastructure/deployment on AWS
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Snowflake
- Experience with testing and continuous integration
Experience. Candidates should have:
- 4-year computer science degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 7 years of professional work experience designing, developing and shipping high quality software as a software engineer
- 5+ years experience with Ruby/Rails or similar (Python, Golang, Elixir)
- Strong data modeling and database design experience
- Highly skilled in building and integrating with APIs
- Strong linux command line skills preferred
- Experience building and maintaining web-based software systems at scale using cloud technologies
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills, with a focus on being remote friendly and inclusive
- Strong passion for Test Driven Development and Agile methodologies
- Flexibility and the willingness to adapt to new languages and architecture
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range: $130,000 - $160,000
We are accepting applications in both San Francisco Bay Area and Denver, CO
Benefits. What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Discretionary time off (DTO)
- Wellness stipend
- And more!
A Note on Covid...
We are fortunate to continue to grow during this unfortunate time. Our top priority is to ensure the health and safety of both our current and future Skupeeps.
As of July, our physical office spaces have reopened on a voluntary basis. Our Skuad members are allowed onsite if they are fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final vaccine dose). That being said, we will continue to manage our interview process virtually, don't be surprised if children or pets make an appearance.
We deeply care about you as our candidate, so let the People Team know if there’s anything we can do to make your interview process go more smoothly - we are in your corner!