At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Senior RF Engineer - Phased Array
What You’ll Do:
- Phased array antenna and antenna-related RF component design and development along with new business support; typically supporting more than one program at a time.
- Antenna requirement evaluation, initial concept trade-off and development, in-house and customer presentations, travel, and technical proposal writing and cost/schedule estimating.
- Be responsible for the hands-on design and realization of phased array antennas, RF circuits, and components.
- Design RF circuit architecture to control and support radiating elements for overall phased array performance.
- Investigate new technologies and applications for phased array antennas.
- Apply extensive technical expertise and has full knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Mentor and guide more junior engineers and technicians in the design, build, and test phases of projects and programs.
- Guide the successful completion of major programs and may function in a project leadership role.
- Work is performed without appreciable direction. Exercise considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment.
- Develop technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Represent the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects. Interact with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- Interface effectively with people at all levels and from diverse areas, seek out responsibilities and opportunities to contribute, regularly meets with customers, provide leadership to groups and teams and guidance to less experienced employees.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units, and the rest of the company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Full competency in core RF engineering and antenna theory and skills and potentially stronger specialization in phased array concepts and technologies, including RADAR and high data rate communications.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Generate presentations and lead group discussions.
- Effectively contribute to successful producibility of designs and to cost, budget, and schedule control.
- Experience with design of phased array antennas and RF components, including radiating elements, radomes, power dividers, couplers, transitions, and multi-layer board designs.
- Analytical design experience using software and simulation tools such as AWR Microwave Office/Agilent ADS, CST, FEKO, HFSS, and SENTRI.
- Experience and proficiency in programming, data manipulation, and data visualization in MATLAB.
- Must be able to create effective test plans; schedule and execute measurements at internal and external facilities; perform measurement analysis and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated ability to apply significant technical expertise in RF engineering and to leverage knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Current security clearance is preferred but not required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $129,500 - $163,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.