Senior Engineer - Spacecraft Command & Data Handling (C&DH) at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Senior Engineer - Spacecraft Command & Data Handling (C&DH)
This leadership position is for a highly-experienced electrical engineer who can lead the Command & Data Handling (CDH) subsystem team to define requirements, develop the architecture, implement the design, and verify the subsystem for a spacecraft.
What You’ll Do:
- CDH technical lead - This position is 70% technical and 30% management.
- Work daily with the larger CDH team on technical definition, implementation, and verification.
- Establish strong working relationships with system engineering team, integration and test team, and peers for the other spacecraft subsystems.
- Prepare and manage subsystem architecture and interfaces. A strong hardware backgrounds is required.
- Generate verification and validation plans, and work with Integration and Test team to ensure the subsystem meets requirements.
- Present architecture, implementation, and verification to customer.
- Collaborate with the spacecraft system engineers on technology insertion into new bus architectures.
- Extensive technical writing (Proposal development, Contractual elements, procedural definitions, specifications, interfaces, analysis support and description documents).
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Minimum of 6 years of direct experience in electronics or avionics subsystem design or test.
- A solid understanding of all aspects of requirements definition, decomposition, and flow-down, architectural trade studies, architectural and interface definition, hardware specifications, interface control, analyses, and verification.
- Knowledge of electronics designed for EMI/EMC/ESD compliance.
- Proven expertise in subcontract management.
- Extensive experience with defining, developing and delivering space qualified hardware.
- Intellectual curiosity combined with a strong desire to learn.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Effectiveness in multidisciplinary large teamwork environments with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.