Principal Software Engineer - Java at Personal Capital (Remote)
Grow your career with a growing organization
Whether they're helping people reach their long-term financial goals or providing personal wealth management strategies, every associate contributes to changing the lives of those we serve for the better. When it comes to job satisfaction, that's hard to beat. And from a personal satisfaction perspective, you'll enjoy the freedom to support causes that matter to you and experience a truly inclusive work environment. Your future starts now.
You will work on data that will amaze you, work with a team that will inspire you, and help create products that truly add value to our users. Personal Capital's server team is extremely agile and builds the backbone of our award winning application with cloud native and shift left development philosophy. Our data is rich and large, and this is your chance to be an influential member of this team, not just on Personal Capital but also on the financial lives of our users. We keep our feet on the ground and heads in the cloud.
The Candidate: We are looking for a very curious technology leader. You need to be a thinker and a doer. You need to be smart and build smart products. You need to be ambitious. This is not an easy job: you will need to wear multiple hats, work with many unknowns, travel many unpaved roads to tackle large-scale problems. But it will be your finest work and creation, and an amazing engineering team is there to collaborate with you and support you.
As a server side engineer you will work on many initiatives, integrations, innovations, while always trying to scale it more, improve performance and keep the system secure.
- Design, implement, deploy and support new web-based applications and web services using server technologies stacks that include Java, MySQL, Apache/Tomcat, and open-source packages such as Spring, Hibernate, etc.
- Define and implement REST Web Services for exposing personal financial services for managing financial accounts, payments, investment portfolios, credit products
- Execute end-to-end software development in agile environment including: requirements analysis, architecture, design, coding, testing, deployment and support
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Expertise with standard server-side software technologies, including: Java, MySQL, Spring, Hibernate, etc.
- Experience with REST API and SOAP based web services
- Experience with Design and Development of OLTP data models
- Experience with AWS Cloud Computing infrastructure and APIs
- Develop microservices based on SpringBoot/Java 8 and working with API gateway and AWS lambda
- Design, Develop and Deploy services on AWS/Kubernetes/ECS/ Docker using Continuous Delivery
- Strong knowledge in building data pipelines using real-time integration patterns and technologies like Kinesis, Firehose and AWS redshift connectors.
- Experience with ORM, ORM tools with relational databases (MySQL, Oracle, or SQL Server).
- Experience with NewSql and NoSql technologies is a plus
- Solid practitioner's understanding of secure application development best practices, such as OWASP
- Deployment of scalable web systems with architectural requirements for high availability, high throughput, low response time, etc.
- Experience in Object Oriented Analysis and Design (OOA/OOD) with appropriate use of design patterns.
- Desire to grow professionally with a small, focused, development team in a fast-paced team
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills
- Bachelor's degree or higher, in Computer Science or related field
Personal Capital is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Please note that this role is being posted by Personal Capital, an Empower company. Personal Capital roles are cross-posted to the Empower web site and are also available at https://www.personalcapital.com/company/jobs. For more information about Personal Capital, please visit www.personalcapital.com
What we offer you
We offer an array of diverse and inclusive benefits regardless of where you are in your career. We believe that providing our employees with the means to lead healthy balanced lives results in the best possible work performance.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Retirement savings - 401(k) plan with generous company matching contributions (up to 6%), financial advisory services, potential company discretionary contribution, and a broad investment lineup
- Tuition reimbursement up to $5,250/year
- Business-casual environment that includes the option to wear jeans
- Generous paid time off upon hire - including a paid time off program plus ten paid company holidays and three floating holidays each calendar year
- Paid volunteer time - 16 hours per calendar year
- Leave of absence programs - including paid parental leave, paid short- and long-term disability, and Family and Medical Leave (FMLA)
- Business Resource Groups (BRGs) - internal networks that rally around common interest, experiences and identities such as race, ethnicity, gender, ability, military status and sexual orientation. BRGs play a vital role in educating and engaging our people and advancing our business priorities.
The salary range below describes the minimum to maximum base salary range for this position in the location listed. Non-sales positions have the opportunity to participate in a bonus program. Sales positions are eligible for sales incentives, and in some instances a bonus plan, whereby total compensation may far exceed base salary depending on individual performance. Actual compensation offered may vary from posted hiring range based upon geographic location, work experience, education, licensure requirements and/or skill level and will be finalized at the time of offer.
Base Salary Range
CA Redwood City
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age (40 and over), race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, pregnancy, religion, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law.