Manufacturing Engineer at AMP Robotics
AMP Robotics is a pioneer and industry leader in artificial intelligence and robotics for the recycling industry. We’re reimagining and actively modernizing the world’s recycling infrastructure. Headquartered and with manufacturing operations in Louisville, Colorado, we build and deploy technology that solves many of the central challenges of recycling and shifts the economics of the industry to make it more efficient, cost-effective, scalable, and sustainable. With more than 70 systems installed across North America, Japan, and Europe, we’re increasing the value that can be extracted from recyclable material through superior separation, purity enhancement, and identification of new end markets for reuse and recycling.
Our diverse, growing team of environmentalists, engineers, and other professionals shares a passion for the promise technology holds to transform the way we recycle. With backing from top-tier investors including Sequoia Capital and recognition including Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and Forbes’ most promising artificial intelligence companies in America, we’re always seeking ways to better our operations, raising the bar on innovation, and looking to collaborate and improve each day in what we do. Learn more at AMPRobotics.com.
The Manufacturing Engineer will develop, implement and execute continuous improvement projects in a high-mix, low-volume manufacturing environment focusing on safety, quality, cost, capital investment, efficiency and productivity. They will participate in the new product develop process acting as the manufacturing representative focusing on manufacturability and design cost effectiveness. This is achieved by proactively reviewing new designs, developing manufacturing estimates, achieving the cost targets, understanding the core principles of design for manufacturing, identifying both standard and innovative manufacturing processes, and supporting continual improvement and quality in product design. The Manufacturing Engineer is responsible to develop and drive quality-driven manufacturing systems, processes and equipment for the production of new and existing products.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Safety- Ensures application of ergonomics, workflow and accident prevention measures to maintain efficient and safe utilization of manufacturing facilities. Plans the effective utilization of production facilities and team members. Ensures compliance to all local government and agency requirements with respect to safety and environmental.
- Quality- Using a data driven approach, analyses manufacturing, install, commissioning, and field failures driving containment, root cause, corrective action deployment.
- Creates, specifies, validates and improves complex manufacturing processes to achieve productivity, quality, cost and organizational objectives. Optimizes the footprint and flow of manufacturing activities through the implementation of lean concepts to promote efficiency, quality and effectiveness.
- Analyzes operational data such as workforce utilization, facility layout, and workflow to design layout of equipment and workspace following lean manufacturing principles for maximum effectiveness of workers and equipment. Ensures manufacturing systems are operational and functioning effectively supporting all relevant OKRs and KPI.
- Develop, evaluate, and improve manufacturing methods and work-flow, elimination of waste utilizing DFx, Lean, 6-sigma tools and methodologies.
- Leads or participates in team-based continuous improvement efforts. Leads kaizens in a structured approach and manages actions to full implementation.
- Utilize PFMEA (Process Failure Modes and Effect Analysis) approach, anticipate potential quality issues and address with innovative manufacturing techniques to avoid defects and escapes to our customers.
- Analyze and plan work force utilization, space requirements, and work-flow, and design layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency.
- Creates metrics and measures manufacturing performance and standards while identifying equipment and process flow bottlenecks.
- During the design phase, the ME will represent Operations and act as the liaison focusing on design for manufacturability, design for sourcing and design for cost.
- Will be responsible to develop proper tooling, jigs, and fixtures during the NPI project to ensure manufacturing process is predictable and repeatable meeting cost and schedule targets.
- During product introduction, the ME will provide necessary assembly/test training and technical support in new processes, specifications, tooling and procedures.
- Develop, deploy and maintain operational method sheets (work instructions) depicting the proper assembly and test techniques, sequence of operations, consumable usage and quality checks to ensure an efficient and optimized product is delivered to our customers.
- Participates and leads complex problem solving activities to address deviations in installation, commissioning, manufacturing and design.
- Develops and maintains basic and advanced workmanship standards used in production, install and service environment.
Education and experience requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering technologies, manufacturing engineering or equivalent. Masters degree a plus.
Experience: Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of experience as a manufacturing engineer including experience analyzing and creating manufacturing processes that increase quality, cost and efficiency. Experience in an early stage company, scaling and high growth environment preferred.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong collaboration skills. Able to work in and excel in as a member of a cross-functional team.
- Self-driven, able to see the big picture, organize work and deliver proactive solutions.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, concepts, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of modern flow manufacturing methods and techniques used in a fast-paced, technology driven assembly environment.
- Ability to design and build jigs and fixtures.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), engineering related computer systems/applications or equivalent. Proficiency in using computer-aided design (CAD) and drafting software such as ProE, AutoCAD or SolidWorks
- Understanding how to read and interpret schematics and electrical drawings.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills to interact with and motivate diverse groups of people and create technical documents.
- Skills in identifying the root cause within a manufacturing environment, problem solve and develop appropriate corrective actions.
- Understanding of quality and risk management.
- Understanding of basic electronics and physics.
- Ability to travel as required to suppliers or customers sites
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
We recognize that there is more to work than the day-to-day responsibilities. In addition to a collaborative, high-performing team environment, we’re pleased to offer competitive base salaries; medical, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan; paid time off and sick time; flexible work hours; and the opportunity to quickly accelerate your learning and growth.
AMP Robotics values inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer that encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.