Lead Engineer, Roku
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal's commitment and how we are making an impact.
Our Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) portfolio is a powerhouse collection of consumer-first brands, supported by media industry leaders, Comcast, NBCUniversal and Sky. When you join our team, you'll work across our dynamic portfolio including Peacock, NOW, Fandango, SkyShowtime, Showmax, and TV Everywhere, powering streaming across more than 70 countries globally. And the evolution doesn't stop there. With unequalled scale, our teams make the most out of every opportunity to collaborate and learn from one another. We're always looking for ways to innovate faster, accelerate our growth and consistently offer the very best in consumer experience. But most of all, we're backed by a culture of respect. We embrace authenticity and inspire people to thrive.
The Peacock TVE group is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Senior Roku Engineer to join our dynamic team. The ideal candidate should be passionate about developing exceptional streaming experiences and possess extensive expertise in Roku development, BrightScript, design patterns, performance optimization, refactoring, and mentoring team members.
You will have a leading role, influencing the Roku development, architecture and the build flows of front end components, systems and themes, Every member of the team works with a wide degree of creativity and latitude.
What the team does
- Creates and maintains multiple branded, high traffic Roku applications.
- Collaborates with product and other internal teams to drive innovation and improvements across the sites, including video delivery and playback user experience
- Explores new technology, pushing the quality and speed capabilities of the systems, running POCs, and balancing innovation with stability
- Supports major consumer-facing live events, including Olympics, and Super Bowls
- Roku Application Development: Lead the design, development, and implementation of Roku applications that deliver a seamless and engaging streaming experience to our users.
- BrightScript Mastery: Demonstrate a deep understanding of BrightScript language features, data structures, and best practices, utilizing this knowledge to write efficient and high-performance code.
- Design Patterns: Leverage industry-standard design patterns and architectural principles to create scalable and maintainable Roku applications.
- Performance Improvements: Identify performance bottlenecks and work on optimizing code, network requests, and rendering to ensure smooth playback and reduce load times.
- Code Refactoring: Continuously improve the codebase by refactoring and enhancing existing features to enhance code quality, readability, and maintainability.
- Technical Leadership: Act as a technical mentor to junior team members, providing guidance and support in Roku development best practices and design principles.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product managers, designers, and backend engineers, to align on requirements and deliver high-quality Roku applications.
- Innovation: Stay up-to-date with the latest Roku platform advancements, industry trends, and emerging technologies to bring innovation and cutting-edge features to our streaming platform.
- Quality Assurance: Work closely with the QA team to ensure the Roku applications meet quality standards, perform rigorous testing, and address any identified issues promptly.
- Documentation: Create and maintain technical documentation, including design specifications, code documentation, and troubleshooting guides.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field.
- 4+ years of experience as a Roku Developer, with a proven track record of delivering successful Roku applications.
- Expertise in BrightScript and demonstrated ability to write efficient, modular, and maintainable code.
- Proficiency in design patterns and architectural principles relevant to Roku application development.
- Strong experience in performance optimization techniques and delivering high-performance streaming applications.
- Solid understanding of software refactoring techniques and ability to refactor code for improved quality and maintainability.
- Prior experience in mentoring and leading junior engineers, fostering a collaborative and growth-oriented team environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to troubleshoot complex issues in Roku applications.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively interact with team members and stakeholders.
- Familiar with GraphQL and Backend for Frontend
- Familiar with microservice architecture
- Experience with TDD and E2E testing
- Expertise integrating into large agile development projects and manage rapid development cycles
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), paid leave, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the Benefits page of the Careers website. Salary range: $130,000 - $180,000
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.