Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the team
The Subscription & Billing team is made up of three pillars -- Revenue for invoicing and payments, Experience for subscription management tailored to external subscribers and internal customer support team, and Growth for entering new markets with localized experiences and expanding existing markets with diversified products. Each pillar contains two autonomous agile teams (“pods”) and is led by a leadership triad composed of a Lead Engineer, Product Owner and People Lead. These three pillars deliver business outcomes via strong customer relationships.
In parallel the Subscription & Billing domain is working on a multi-year programme to replace the current heritage billing system (.Net framework, ExtJS) with a modern and scalable solution (.NET Core, React, Microservices, Containers, AWS services) to better serve our expanding customer base and allow for more flexible and sophisticated billing scenarios. Subscription & Billing’s success is essential for the ability of Xero to achieve its ambitious goals around growth around the world.
About the role
- As a Lead Engineer, you’ll work in your pillar leadership triad to ensure valuable business outcomes, high engineering standards and effective development practices. You’ll support the pillar to have productive engineers who create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster.
- You’ll work closely with the other Lead Engineers, Architect and Development Managers to solve challenges that span the domain. You’ll do this by contributing to strategic engineering plans, sharing your knowledge and learnings, challenging each other's ideas and assumptions and supporting each other as an engineering leadership team.
- You’ll work with the engineers in your pillar to guide technical design, advocate and apply Xero’s engineering standards and support continuous improvement in engineering practices. You’ll retain some hands-on experience in development and testing, and participate in code reviews where expert opinion or cross-pod coordination is required.
- You’ll work closely with the People Lead to promote the growth of our engineers, and demonstrate your own growth mindset to upskill and lead the engineering community. You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale.
- You’ll work closely with the Product Owner to influence prioritization and planning of product backlogs and technical initiatives.
What you’ll bring with you
- Expertise in coaching and mentoring engineers across multiple disciplines.
- Strong collaborative leadership style to influence engineering change across pods.
- Ability to lead or facilitate engineering discussions, encouraging the opinions of all.
- Experience contributing to standards and revising existing ones.
- Experience learning from incidents and improving resilience.
- Expertise in tracking engineering performance and operational health metrics.
- Expertise in assessing code for security, testability and agility.
- Passion for continuous delivery practices and test strategies which provide fast and reliable feedback for engineers.
- Ability to collaborate with product and architecture to influence prioritization and planning.
Come and join us at Xero! Due to ongoing growth, we are looking for an experienced Lead Engineer to join our distributed Subscription and Billing team. We are a remote first team with a hybrid office/remote approach. We work in our offices in Auckland, Wellington and Melbourne as well as remotely from multiple locations in New Zealand. Office working and remote working across New Zealand or Australia are both available options.
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.