Full Stack Software Engineer Lead
Travelers Haven is seeking a Software Engineer Lead that with strong abstract problem-solving abilities to join our Engineering team. This position will partner heavily with the Senior Software Engineers, while owning the technology and architecture for the team. This role is a technical leadership, not people management. It is a more technical track than moving into Software Engineering Management. You will work directly with the executive team and the employees using our software to help shape the future of our company. Our team is small but focused on shipping quality product. The ideal candidate for this position is willing and able to work full-stack and do CSS/JS as needed but gravitates more towards the back-end systems side.
In this position, you will be making architectural decisions with other resources, building new features and performing maintenance for a complex yet reliable Ruby on Rails environment with Angular/React front-ends. We have big goals for 2019/2020 and need to be proactive about capacity planning and systems performance.
We ship code daily to our production, staging, and continuous integration environments. Test results, deployments, and production monitoring alerts are posted to Slack.
- We do one-week sprints (Scrum/Kanban mix). Outside of daily standups and weekly sprint planning and retrospectives, we keep meetings to an absolute minimum to maximize development time.
- We play to each team member’s strengths. Whether you skew frontend or backend, you’ll primarily be using the skills you’re best at and enjoy the most but be expected to jump in anywhere as needed.
- We currently all use Macs for development but if you prefer Linux that’s good too.
- We keep to a 40-hour work week and respect your time away from the office.
- We offer flexible working arrangements and are a highly collaborative team. The right candidate wants to be a go-to resource for their areas of responsibility, share what they know and learn from teammates.
A lead software engineer works on the development team writing and maintaining code for our web and mobile applications. As a lead software engineer, your primary responsibilities are to learn the codebase, work on bug fixes and features, participate in paired programming with other engineers, as well as lead other engineers. Lead engineers are senior-level positions, where you are expected to be able to work on any project. As you gain experience and build up your skills, you will start to take on more leadership responsibility and be able to run any project end to end. Core Responsibilities include:
- Own your team’s technology and architecture.
- Collaborate with other engineers to create applications.
- Mentor other engineers on technology and practices.
- Be a key player in defining and grooming technical projects.
- Be an expert on our tech stack and lead discussions on adding new technologies.
- Be a key player in the hiring team for engineers.
- Lead discussions around code quality and refactoring code.
- Be the go-to person for other departments about your team’s work.
- Lead development team meetings.
- Own your part of the application, including monitoring and setting up alerts.
- Write clean code.
- Write tests that prove your code works.
- Write documentation on projects and various parts of the codebase to benefit other engineers.
Required Education & Experience:
- 5-10+ years experience with Ruby on Rails.
- 2+ years experience with ReactJS.
- 4+ years in a leadership role involving technical architecture and design.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent education and relevant work experience considered.
- Strong computer science problem-solving ability for creating, testing, and optimizing scalable algorithms.
- Good communication skills. Whether it's interfacing with a client via email or working with an internal team communication is paramount for our team's continued success.
- Experience with high-volume, public-facing production applications and performance testing.
- Experience with implementing web application security best practices.
Preferred Education & Experience:
The ideal candidate would have experience with the following:
- Heroku and Amazon Web Services
- REST/SOAP APIs
- RSpec and TDD
- HTML/CSS/JS (vanilla or jQuery)
- AngularJS experience is a plus