Engineering Manager at Peaksware
- As of Friday, March 13, 2020, Peaksware/TrainingPeaks employees are working remotely from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We will work with anyone hired during this period to accommodate remote on-boarding to the best of our ability. An in-person meeting at the office may be required to provide equipment and/or VPN access to enable remote work, or a delayed start may occur depending upon government orders and regulations at the time.
At TrainingPeaks, we are passionate about helping our customers train the right way and achieve their fitness goals. TrainingPeaks creates smart and effective endurance training solutions, including web and mobile apps for iOS and Android. Our products help athletes commit to a clear goal, structure their training to work out smarter, and monitor their progress as they work toward their event.
Some of our more widely known partners include USA Triathlon, USA Cycling, British Cycling, British Triathlon, Triathlon Australia, Cycling Australia, US Rowing, and many more!
TrainingPeaks is a subsidiary of Peaksware Holdings.
What will I do?
As an Engineering Manager at TrainingPeaks, you are responsible for leading and growing one or more software engineering team to develop our SaaS platform by crafting new software systems from the ground up and supporting our existing products and services.
We believe that functional managers’ primary focus lies on people, functional development, and process improvement. You will help develop our talent through continuous feedback and coaching and identifying growth opportunities. You can speak the engineering language and help develop our people to become better engineers and team members - while you may not be the most senior engineer, you know the fundamentals and can always ask the right questions to guide smart technical decision-making. Throughout your leadership, you will identify process gaps and surface those to our cross-functional leadership group with an eye on improving the effectiveness of our engineers within that process.
Your day-to-day will look like:
- Recruiting, on-boarding, coaching & mentoring--and ultimately leading engineers on one or more full stack software engineering teams
- Supporting the end to end software delivery and timeline, including design, programming, testing and implementation to meet business and technical requirements
- Coaching your engineers with strong, structured technical decision making skills and support them through the decision-making process
- Partnering and collaborating with Product Managers, Designers, and senior level engineering leaders to define the team's vision, strategy, and product roadmap
- Establishing and continuously improving our lean engineering processes that use focus and rapid iteration to build the right product for the right problem
- Being a strong collaborator with your fellow engineering managers and leaders, shepherding our engineering organization, coaching and championing lean engineering principles and practices to build our tribal-level engineering culture
- Managing & leading Tech Leads and providing air cover for more complex problems our Tech Leads have not faced yet. Coaching them on project management, process management, and team leadership concepts as they take on more responsibility in partnership with their POs/PMs
As the ideal Engineering Manager candidate, you possess:
- Engineering Strengths - You are an experienced engineering leader with past hands on experience writing code with modern languages as well as knowledge of modern web and cloud technologies.
- Technical Experience - You're fluent in commonly used design patterns and can constructively review the work of others to ensure high quality. You're familiar with Software-as-a-Service and microservice architecture and progressive engineering best practices. You are a technical facilitator capable to help teams optimize their technical decision-making discussions and
- Passion - You are customer-focused and have passion for building software that resonates with users on large web scale infrastructure that "just works".
- Relentlessly High Standards - You understand what it takes to write software that is used by millions of people. You love creating things that are robust, scalable, and perform well. You possess a growth mentality and continue to learn new technologies and techniques.
- Leadership Capability - You have the drive and ability to get things done in an innovative and fast paced environment. You lead in order to help team members to reach their full potential.
- Team Player Mindset - You enjoy collaborating, learning from and teaching others, so we can all become better engineers. You assume positive intent in others, and actively do your part to make a positive work environment
- 100% company paid medical plan for employees with buy-up options as well as dental and vision insurance for employees (dependent coverage available)
- 401(k) 5% match
- 3 weeks of PTO for all new hires; increase in PTO at various years of service
- Stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
- Dog-friendly office
- Music Studio for all to practice, jam, and record
- On-site workout area access: treadmill, bike trainers, rowers, and full weight lifting gym with CrossFit equipment, with changing rooms and showers and towel service
- Corporate discounts on gym memberships and top-brand gear
- Beautiful North East Boulder, CO location
- Flexible work schedule in a culture of trust
TrainingPeaks is a member of the Peaksware family of companies including Alfred Publishing, MakeMusic, TrainingPeaks, and TrainHeroic. Peaksware was recognized as #15 on Built in Colorado's "Best Places to Work" list and five times by Outside Magazine's "Best Places to Work"! Through our unique approach to deliberate practice, each company within Peaksware develops software solutions to help users on their individual journeys of skill development and improvement.