Engineering Manager - Intelligence at Nylas (Remote)
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:31 a.m. (MST) on Monday, February 7, 2022
By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
Nylas is a pioneer and leading provider of productivity infrastructure solutions for modern software. Over 50,000 developers worldwide use the Nylas platform to quickly and securely build productivity features into their applications. With Nylas, developers get unprecedented access to rich communications data from their end-users, pre-built workflows that automate everyday tasks, embeddable UI/UX components for fast front-end development, and comprehensive security features - all delivered via a suite of powerful APIs that make integration easy.
Who We Are
Nylas was founded in 2013 and has raised over $175M to date from Tiger Global, 8VC, Spark Capital, Slack, and more; as well as individual investors including Patrick Collison, Co-Founder and CEO of Stripe, John Collison, President and Co-Founder of Stripe, Sebastian Siemiatkowski, CEO of Klarna, and Tony Fadell. Developers around the world use Nylas to quickly and securely build email, scheduling, and work automation features into their applications. Nylas customers include Upwork, Wix, Freshworks, Lever, Dialpad, Ceridian, and Move.com.
Nylas is a BIG advocate for the well-being of its employees, which is why we have embraced a People First philosophy. It’s about giving more autonomy and flexibility to our employees. It’s not about when, where or how the work is accomplished; it’s about adopting a mindset of velocity and trust when tackling the work. It’s about respecting individual working styles, disabilities, and personal schedules, but also ensuring everyone has a better work-life balance. The outcomes will always be more important than the physical location.
Nylanauts have the ability to decide the best workspace or environment that will result in more ideas, engagement, creativity, focus, collaboration, and productivity. Why? Because we want our employees to be great; because we are focussed on being a high-performing team. To achieve this mission, we remove barriers and offer more autonomy. So, Nylanauts are encouraged to find those environments that inspire them to be great. This means Nylanauts can work from the slopes of Montana or from the beaches of Italy.
And if Nylanauts want to work from an office in one of our hubs (San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London), they can! The workspace is there to be utilized.
So, if you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product, and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you. Want to know more? Check us out on Comparably and Great Place to Work!
Fastest Growing Companies (Inc 500)
2020 Great Place to Work (Great Place to Work)
2020 Best Places for Professional Development (Comparably)
2019 Best Leadership Team (Comparably)
2020 Happiest Employees (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Compensation (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Perks & Benefits (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Work-Life Balance (Comparably)
2021 Best Company Culture (Comparably)
2021 Best CEO (Comparably)
2021 Best Company for Diversity (Comparably)
About the role
We're looking for an experienced engineering leader who will take our existing world-class communication stack to the next level. As the Engineering Manager, you are expected to attract, manage and retain a team of engineers in the U.S. and Toronto, and collaborate with your peers and engineers distributed globally. You will own our intelligence stack and build out the AI/ML and NLP infrastructure capabilities.
The Intelligence team at Nylas is responsible for the Neural APIs and other intelligence features that build on top of emails, calendars, and contacts. We utilize natural language processing, machine learning, and integrations with external APIs to categorize and contextualize information for developers to build an intelligence layer on top of Nylas communication channels.
The Nylas platform handles over 1 billion API calls and stores over 22TB of data per day. The company is expected to grow over 2 times in usage year over year. We are looking for a leader who can inspire the team to hit aspirational goals, drive design discussion and jump into code to unblock the team.
In this role, you will manage a team of 4 engineers initially with expectations to double the size of the team quickly. The Engineering Manager will report directly to the Director of Engineering and work alongside other engineering leaders in the organization.
- Communicate priorities clearly to engineers, and act as a liaison with the business org to set clear and realistic expectations, and allow engineers to come up with ways to meet priorities
- Provide support to engineers in terms of making sure they have what they need to be productive and successful. This might mean:
- Setting up mentorship
- Ensuring engineers are working on things that interest and motivate them
- Ensuring engineers are growing and meeting their professional goals
- Providing feedback in a kind, direct, and actionable manner so engineers are aware of areas they can improve upon
- Should make sure engineers feel valued and supported, that their contributions are valuable, and that they are happy
- Hiring, providing mentorship/coaching, and budget planning
- Always looking for ways to optimize and improve individual and team processes
- Be hands-on in execution, including architecture design, code review, and even contribute code when time permits
- Strong foundations in Computer Science and/or Software Engineering
- Strong foundations in Statistics, Data Modeling, and/or Machine Learning
- 3+ years of experience managing a team of 2 or more engineers
- Excellent communicator
- Agile development experience
- Experience with deploying machine learning applications
- Worked with a major Cloud provider such as AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Can code
Perks and Benefits:
25 Days Paid Time Off (PTO)
State Pension: 3% Employer match
Education Stipend: £750 annual education & development benefit
Perk card: £50 per month towards health, wellness, and other perks via Assembly
Cell Phone: £50 per month stipend towards cell phone reimbursement
Read Full Job Description