Who we are
Our mission at Nylas is to turn communication into inspiration and insight. We empower over 100,000 developers and over 900 companies all over the world to access, parse, and gain insights from communications data to provide better experiences for their customers and users, all while providing top tier security and compliance. To achieve this vision, we’ve raised over $175M from Tiger Global, 8VC, ScaleUp, Spark Capital, Slack, and more.
We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and a massive opportunity (the world runs on communication and data). By continuing to hire exceptional people from all different backgrounds and perspectives, we have the opportunity to make Nylas one of the biggest, most successful and equitable technology companies in the world.
Nylas is an advocate for the well-being of our employees. We trust our employees and give them the autonomy to achieve their goals without focusing on when, where, and how they get there. We are a flexibility first workplace. That means if you have a preference for working fully remote, going into the office every day, or anywhere in between, we support that working style. but if Nylanauts want to work from an office, we have hubs in San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London.
We are also strong supporters of internal and cross-team mobility and growth. We want Nylas to be a place where anyone can be supported to grow, learn, and become the best at what they do. We’ve been named a top Startup for career growth and development by Forbes, Great Places to Work, and Comparably!
From our CTO + Co-Founder, Christine Spang:
“We have a number of folks on the team who started as an individual contributor and became staff level or leaders in their area. I personally love seeing people reach their full potential and become successful at Nylas.”
About the role
We’re looking for an engineering manager who will help us grow and manage our core platform team. You are expected to help drive the development of a team of engineers in the U.S. & Canada, and collaborate with your peers and engineers distributed globally. You will help move our core platform to the next level and be accountable to deliver a highly scalable and reliable platform to support multiple business lines.
You will work on ideating new features aimed at expanding our user base and making it easier for our existing users to connect to. You’ll be responsible for working with the Product team and engineers to scope out and prove the benefits of these new features.
In this role, you will manage a team of 6 engineers in collaboration with, and reporting to, the Director of Engineering. You will work alongside other engineering managers responsible for our other Connectivity teams, Platform, and Technical Operations.
- Collaborate closely with a team of engineers and product leaders to establish a long term vision, set objectives, and build a technical roadmap
- Grow the team in-depth through mentorship, career development, and hiring
- Communicate priorities clearly to engineers, and act as a liaison with business org to set clear and realistic expectations, and allow engineers to come up with ways to meet priorities
- Own the design, development, and delivery of the core platform to ensure a fast and reliable user experience
- Provide feedback in a kind, direct, and actionable manner so engineers are aware of areas they can improve on
- Be hands-on in execution including architecture design, code review, and code contributions
- 2+ years of experience managing a team with 5+ engineers
- Ability to iterate on solutions
- Excellent communicator
- Agile development experience
- Experience developing in Python and/or Golang
- GCP or AWS cloud environments experience
- Actively involved in software development
- Experience working on distributed systems and microservices architecture is preferred
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application and will either move forward with your application, find another team that might be better suited to your skills, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Perks and Benefits:
• Nylas Alumni Fund: after 3 years employment, Nylas will invest $20k into your seed round if you decide to start your own company
• Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
• CPP with 3% employer contribution
• Education Stipend: $1,250 annual education & development benefit
• Perk card: $180 per month towards health, wellness, and other perks via Assembly
• Cell Phone: $60 per month stipend towards cell phone reimbursement