Engineer Senior - Mechanical (MGSE Focused) at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Senior - Mechanical (MGSE Focused)
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, design, and certify Mechanical Ground Support Equipment (MGSE) and Special Test Equipment (STE) for aerospace applications.
- Work with internal and external customers to derive, negotiate, document, and change-control requirements.
- Own and/or lead team to design and produce solutions which meet cost, schedule, and technical requirements.
- Review designs and provide technical mentoring on Requirements Development, Model Based Engineering, Design for Manufacturing, Design for Test, Design for Additive Manufacturing, etc.
- Generate accurate cost/schedule estimates and manage performance to plan.
- Proactively identify, communicate, and manage risks and opportunities.
- Provide technical oversight of MGSE related subcontracts.
- Contribute to continuous evolution of MGSE processes and tools to improve execution.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred.
- Experience in the development, design, qualification and use of MGSE for spacecraft hardware assembly, integration, test, shipment and launch.
- Proficient using CAD software for modeling/drafting (SolidWorks preferred) and Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing.
- Demonstrated creativity in mechanical engineering design.
- Proven ability to lead and influence mechanical engineering design and manufacturing activities.
- Demonstrated ability to develop accurate cost estimates and schedules.
- Active TS/SCI clearance preferred, willingness and ability to obtain clearance required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $120,500 - $152,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.