Engineer Senior - Cryo-Mechanical Technical Lead at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Senior – Cryo-Mechanical Technical Lead
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the design effort for new cryo-mechanical payloads (instrument integrated cryocooler systems, cryo-radiators, cryostats) for space applications from proposal phase thru award, detailed design, fabrication, assembly, integration, test, and requirement verification.
- Responsible for cost and schedule planning and tracking as well as managing efforts through robust engineering change processes including risk and opportunity management.
- Define, maintain, iterate, and verify the cryo-mechanical requirements that are needed to meet the system and other subsystem requirements and interfaces.
- Generate, iterate, maintain, and release the cryo-mechanical payload design that meets system and subsystem requirements.
- Working on CAD and supporting cross-functional analyses (STOP and other related analyses) over the full development lifecycle.
- Transition to leading team of 5-10 design and analysis engineers with majority of time spent leading the team and communicating with the internal and external customers; mentoring of less experienced engineers is encouraged and expected
- Initiate and manage subcontracts; work with vendors to develop and design cryo-mechanical components.
- Participate in IRAD planning, management and execution.
- Coordination required with personnel from all other payload sub-systems and spacecraft structure, including external interfaces such as customers, customer consultants, sub-system providers and launch vehicle providers.
- Collaboration with systems engineering and program management.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering preferred.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks or equivalent 3D CAD software.
- 8 years proven experience designing echanical payloads for the space environment preferred.
- Cryogenic related experience is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- SSBI clearance preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $120,500 - $152,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.