Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Principal – Systems
This leadership position is for a highly experienced systems engineer who can lead a team to establish the requirement baseline, CONOPS, and architecture for a mission that includes Space Vehicle(s), Ground Systems, Payload, and Spacecraft Bus.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide systems engineering leadership of technical teams to develop and implement the Requirements, CONOPS, Architecture, and Integration of Space Missions.
- Manage and Control the Technical Baseline.
- Interface with and support the program chief engineer.
- Plan and manage the cost, schedule, and technical content associated with the systems engineering team.
- Oversee and Guide the System Traceability team in:
- Developing the database framework to properly allocate, trace and verify requirements through all mission phases
- Allocating and flowing system requirements to lower level specifications
- Developing the overall verification plan and approach
- Oversee and Guide the Architecture and Design team in:
- Developing and utilizing technical trades studies to define the system architecture
- Utilizing Model Based Systems Engineering tools and processes to develop and document the system architecture, interfaces, and CONOPS
- Trading technical performance options and impacts
- Defining System CONOPS
- Oversee and Guide the System Integration & Test team in:
- Defining System Integration & Test Plan
- Defining System Simulator requirements
- Defining System STE and GSE requirements
- Mentor other systems engineers assigned to this team.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Related experience in either mission system, spacecraft systems, ground systems or payloads is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in systems engineering processes, including requirements development, requirement allocation, change management, verification and validation – a self-starter that will own this activity.
- Demonstrated experience leading multi-disciplinary teams including meeting cost, schedule, and performance goals.
- Customer Relationships: Knowledge of missions and customers across core technologies areas.
- Superb presentation skills with experience to senior decision making and technical audiences.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $142,000 - $179,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.