Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
You will be part of the Platform-as-a-Service group, which is a cross-functional agile infrastructure development team. Although the group encompasses multiple teams, their collective goal is to enable the product teams to deliver software quickly and easily, by building the platform underlying the Xero products. You will write API-first software to extend, enrich, and sustain Xero’s core platform.
What we do
The PaaS team builds platform products to enable Xero development teams to build and ship software in a fast, reliable and secure manner. PaaS leverages modern cloud computing tooling and continuous integration practices. Through our customer centric approach we aim to reduce the cognitive load for Xero Product teams.
The team’s work involves coding, infrastructure, cloud and much more, using tools such as: AWS, Kubernetes, Spinnaker, TeamCity, GitHub, Artifactory, and languages like Terraform, Python, Golang & more.
We also work on relational database systems and concepts (SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.) and configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet, SaltStack, Ansible, Powershell DSC, etc.).
Having experience in some of these technologies would be an advantage however, there will be opportunities to learn.
As an Engineer in PaaS, you will get to deep dive into many different technologies to get a better understanding of how the Xero product is built, deployed and operated at Xero. You should be able to write code, have a growth mindset and contribute to a highly collaborative team environment.
Skills and experience:
- Experience in delivering code in a production environment
- Ability to work with others and navigate areas of conflict in an open, positive and proactive way
- Experience of modern product and engineering principles and practices
- Experience with cloud technologies and CI/CD systems
- Experience with containerisation technologies.
- Ideally, proven experience working with innovative software development projects at scale.
What you'll bring with you:
- Great communication skills - you speak and write clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative, and relying on jargon.
- Growth mindset - understands that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work.
- Demonstrate a love of learning and resilience to adversity that is essential for great accomplishment.
- High EQ - you are self-aware, self-regulated, motivated and empathetic with great interpersonal skills.
Why you should become a Xero
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us!
You can choose to perform this role:
- In one of our #beautiful offices
- Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
- Permanently Remote
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero’s. Permanent remote Xero’s will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. Xero will also fund up to 4 trips a year to your most relevant region Xero office. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
Aside from the typical perks you’d expect from a tech company (games rooms, free soft drinks, barista coffee, fresh fruit, sports teams and amazing offices), one of the best things about Xero is our people. You’ll join an inclusive, diverse product team with talented developers from all over the globe.
We support many types of flexible working arrangements, which allows you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package which includes shares and life insurance in addition to your base salary plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.