The Director, Software Engineering is responsible for delivering a broad set of products and services according to the strategic roadmap of Procare's common platforms. This is a highly technical role that also requires strong leadership skills and business understanding.
- Ensure delivery of products and services on Procare's strategic roadmap, including web applications and services, mobile apps, and back office systems and integrations
- Define and implement common architectures, platforms, and technologies in collaboration with CTO and other technology leaders
- Oversee the day-to-day technical and architectural standards, providing guidance to engineers at all levels
- Collaborate with product management and other business stakeholders on defining product roadmap and roadmap requirements
- Mature, evolve, and implement software engineering practices, such as agile/Kanban methodology, design standards, coding standards, peer reviews, testing, etc.
- Define and implement DevOps practices for production/operations
- Manage and optimize a hybrid team of onshore/local and remote/offshore resources, with a balance of productivity, flexibility, and cost
- Measure and report on productivity and quality of teams and progress of initiatives on roadmap
- Lead, mentor, and manage individual technical contricutors and managers/team leads
- Occasional domestic travel to meet with other development and functional teams (10-15%)
- Experience managing development teams with multiple manager-level and individual contributor direct reports
- Experience managing delivery of commercial SaaS solutions with small to medium sized teams (10-20 people)
- Highly technical background, must have significant current hands-on experience with the relevant technologies listed below
- Experience with AWS and building cloud-native products and services, including ElastiCache, Lambda/serverless, RDS/Aurora, Route53, CloudFront
- Hands-on experience with Ruby on Rails and React required, as well as with other platforms (C#, Java, LAMP, etc.)
- Hands-on experience with various relational database platforms, PostgreSQL preferred
- Experience with continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) in a DevOps working model
- Experience with formal IT Service Management based on ITIL standards preferred
- Experience with structured/formal Agile development processes, Kanban preferred
- Experience with the Atlassian suite of products – Jira Software, Confluence, BitBucket, etc.
- Experience with test automation tools such as Selenium, JMeter, and Postman
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field (Master’s degree preferred), or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 10 years’ experience as a software engineer/architect
- Minimum three years’ experience managing software engineering teams delivering commercial SaaS products/services
Procare provides software and services to schools, preschools, and childcare centers. Our suite of solutions help manage the center, connect parents with schools, and provide teachers with more tools to digitally manage their classrooms. The Procare family of solutions are the tools of choice for child-centered businesses.
Procare has offices in Denver, CO; Medford, OR; Rochester Hills, MI; and Santa Clara and Sacramento, CA. This position is based in our downtown Denver office.