Built In Colorado honors Pie in its 2021 Best Places to Work Awards
Pie Insurance Raises $118 Million in Series C Funding
Pie Insurance Named a Leading Place to Work in Colorado
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie is transforming small business insurance - starting with workers’ compensation. We are driven by our core values that guide every decision we make, the community we build, and the service we deliver to our small business customers. Like our small business customers, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. Small businesses are the backbone of the economy; talented team members are the backbone of Pie. We are pie-oneering a whole new approach to insurance.
The Director of Engineering role is responsible for the overall development, operations, and leadership of a domain, portfolio product(s), or set of cohesive engineering teams. They are responsible for the outcomes the team generates through work quality, work cadence, engineering excellence, process excellence, and continuous improvement. They embody the company’s values, are excellent communicators, lead from the front, and can galvanize a team to action. They take a first-principles, disciplined approach to process management. They are comfortable yielding thought leadership to their team, while also stepping in as a subject matter expert as appropriate.
Today, all Pie-oneers are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. As a remote team member, you will be expected to be available for meetings with team members in other time zones and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
We will consider this role for continued remote work once our offices reopen with some work/travel to our offices in Denver or DC.
How You'll Do It
- Translates company vision and strategy into well-articulated initiatives and aligns other engineering leaders and teams towards that common goal.
- Articulates business impact and justifications for technology investments. Effectively communicates those justifications to cross-functional stakeholders, including executives.
- Proactively identifies opportunities to improve established practices across Engineering and organizes cross-team efforts to execute those opportunities.
- Understand and express the business context behind all the work their team is doing.
- Creates clearly defined value-generating objectives for their organization and manages multiple teams to achieve that objective. Able to clearly articulate progress towards that objective in verbal and presentational forms.
- Possesses a deep understanding of Agile software development practices and demonstrates continuous improvement across multiple teams.
- In partnership with the Talent team; recruits, attracts and retains excellent talent.
- Manages the production operations of their team’s work. Build the structures to operate production software and is responsible for maintaining SLAs of that software.
- Conducts regular 1:1s with direct reports and provides clear goals and success criteria, provides constructive feedback, and engenders open communication and loyalty.
- Develops partnership with Product Management leaders, aligns their organization’s technology objectives with the product roadmap.
- Possesses the confidence of their peers in Product.
- Partners with the Architecture team to ensure that organizational objectives are able to honor architectural constraints.
- Develop careers of managers and individual contributors in their management responsibilities.
The Right Stuff
- 10-years experience working in fast growing and high paced software development teams is required.
- 5-years of experience in leadership & management is required.
- Advanced communication (written, verbal and presentation) skills, to deliver complex information effectively and align people with the needs of the project/team.
- Advanced problem solving skills, to be able to manage complex situations with multiple layers, and resolve to solution anticipating needs now and into the future.
- Intermediate awareness of your own tasks, and how it impacts the team and deliverables.
- Advanced leadership skills with experience leading large or technical teams through complex deliverables.
- G-Suite Tools, Collaboration tools (slack is preferred), basic office machines.
- Competitive salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
- Generous parental leave
Compensation & Benefits
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie. That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $190,500 - $236,000
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.