Director of Engineering, Media at Udemy (Remote)
About the Role
Udemy processes video lecture content from over 40,000 instructors across the world and delivers video on demand to more than 100 million students globally, with up to 200K video requests per hour. As our media team's leader, you will be responsible for ensuring that our students receive high-quality video on any device and that both instructors and students have delightful video experiences.
You will lead and grow the team that develops our scalable platform for the processing and delivery of video and other media assets such as images, files and captions. We are looking for expertise in designing simple systems and extendible, easy-to-use APIs; knowledge of video standards, formats, and encodings; as well as an understanding of browser- and device-specific specifications, in particular related to media delivery. We are looking for someone to join the team who has demonstrable experience in some of these areas. Don't worry if you don't tick all the boxes - we are a learning company after all!
Media, and video, in particular are core to Udemy's business and our technology platform. To date, we've developed and operated a media platform that is a practical combination of proprietary and third-party systems and tools. To go beyond where we are today, we are commencing with "V2" of this platform. This is a significant effort and will be the primary focus of our media team when you arrive. For the right person with appropriate skills and experience, this is a fabulous opportunity to design and put in place a state-of-the-art modern, scalable streaming media platform, from upload, storage, processing, encoding, encryption, and packaging, to delivery and playback.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead and grow the team of developers focused on the DevOps-oriented mission for media functions at Udemy
- Define and develop the platform and operations (in true DevOps fashion) of the core components of Udemy's video function to work with today's streaming-media formats and beyond, including upload, storage, processing, (encoding and packaging, speech recognition, translation, and more), delivery (CDNs), DRM, web and mobile playback, and analytics (including usage, quality-of-service, operations, and cost) for these functions
- As part of Udemy's V2 media platform, define and help develop robust and secure media APIs, as a proper architectural layer between our media services and systems and Udemy's application layer
- Facilitate the integration of these APIs into our applications
- Make "build vs. buy" decisions that optimize time-to-market, quality, and cost trade-offs
- Serve as the "Product Owner" for media and video at Udemy, including drafting formal requirements and specification documents
- Collaborate with other platform and application leaders from Udemy's product, design, and engineering teams
Experience and knowledge:
- 7+ years of hands-on engineering experience, at least some of in a devops culture
- 5+ years of people management experience, including time with agile development methodologies
- AWS (S3 in particular, but also generally) and GCP
- IP networking and DNS
- Video file formats (MP4, HLS, MPEG-DASH), codecs ( H.264 , VP9, MPEG-4), image file formats, closed captioning file formats (VTT)
- Digital Rights Management (DRM) technologies, including Fairplay, PlayReady, and Widevine
- Live video solutions, WebRTC
- Video players, including VideoJS and adaptive bitrate (ABR) techniques
- Modern HTML5 browser media and file APIs
- Python, Kotlin, JS (ES6)
We understand that not everyone will match the above qualifications 100%. If your background isn't perfectly aligned but you feel you would be a great addition to the team, we'd love to hear from you .
If you just can't wait to learn more about Udemy (believe us, we get it!) and the incredible work that our teams are doing, here are a few more resources:
How Udemy Started [video]
Udemy on Glassdoor
Colorado EPEWA Information
Udemy is the world's largest education platform with more than 30 million monthly visitors. Through our Consumer and Enterprise businesses, Udemy creates new possibilities for people and organizations everywhere by connecting them to the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in a changing world. The Udemy consumer marketplace offers thousands of up-to-date courses in dozens of languages and provides the tools learners and instructors need to achieve their goals and reach their full potential. For companies, Udemy Business (UB) offers an employee training and development platform with subscription access to thousands of courses, learning analytics, as well as the ability to host and distribute their own content. Our enterprise platform is among the fastest growing SaaS businesses in the world. UB has more than 10,000 customers and serves the majority of the Fortune 100.
We are proud to be recognized for our world class employee experience:
Udemy Adds More than $1 Billion To Its Valuation in New Funding Round
Udemy's Workplace Learning Tool Just Surpassed $100M in ARR
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020-Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn't the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco with hubs in Ankara, Turkey; Austin, Texas; Boston, Massachusetts; Mountain View, California; Denver, Colorado; Dublin, Ireland; Melbourne, Australia; New Delhi, India; and Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Information regarding data privacy is available within the Udemy Careers Privacy Notice .
- Eligibility: Regular, full-time employees are eligible for Udemy's benefit programs.
- Health Plans: Medical, dental, and vision coverage (100% coverage for employee-only).
- HSA/FSA/Commuter: Pre-tax savings/spending plans available; generous HSA employer contributions for those enrolled in the HDHP medical plan.
- Life/Disability: Employer-paid life insurance (supplemental available), in addition to short-term and long-term disability.
- Retirement: Access to 401(k) with annual employer contribution.
- Wellbeing: Corporate memberships for meditation and mindfulness, therapy and coaching, financial planning, primary care, tele-health, health advocacy, parent/newborn support, and employee discounts.
- Education: Free access to the entire course library on the Udemy and Udemy for Business platforms; annual stipend for external learning beginning at six months of employment.
- Charitable Matching Program: Employer match of monetary contributions to eligible nonprofits and charities that carry a 501(c)(3) tax status.
- Vacation: 15 days per year of Paid Time Off for hourly; flexible Discretionary Time Off for salaried.
- Parental Leave: 8 weeks of leave at 100% pay for parents who take time off from work following the date of birth, adoption, or foster placement beginning at six months of employment; this amount is in addition to pregnancy-disability benefits at 100% pay, if applicable.
- Holidays: 10 paid holidays throughout the year