Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving understanding of the past. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $4.6B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
We are looking for a Full Stack Software Engineer to join the Background Check Program! Some of the screenings we cover include: criminal, civil, driver, drug and occupational health, employment and education, and professional license verifications. Our work involves orchestrating the flow of information from when a customer first places an order for a background check, to interacting with data from thousands of sources, to delivering the final report to customers and candidates. This is the core product and beating heart of Checkr.
Because we process millions of records each year, every engineering challenge our group faces – compliance, data quality, speed, and reliability – is a challenge we face at scale. We also face deep product challenges from a highly fragmented and decentralized data ecosystem, which means every engineering choice we make is also an opportunity to reduce bias in the hiring process.
We are looking for teammates that are highly collaborative (we have a preference towards pair programming), care deeply about the mission of our company (improving fairness in the criminal justice system), and are eager to work with a diverse team (42% of engineers across the background check program identify as women).
- Own the product development of features from design, implementation, to release
- Partner with product, design and other stakeholders in designing new features
- Collaborate with other engineers in architecting and implementing new features
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve our products
- Deliver performant, reliable, scalable, and secure code
- Monitor, investigate, triage, and resolve production issues as they arise for services owned by the team
What you bring:
- 2+ years of full-stack software development experience
- Proficiency in React and knowledge of front end best practices
- Solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as relational databases, data structure and algorithms, Object Relational Mapping, REST APIs, microservices, etc.
- A strong sense of ownership
- Ability to collaborate with teammates and other stakeholders
- An eagerness to learn, collaborate, improve, and innovate
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.