We are looking for a Senior Backend Software Engineer to join the background check program! Some of the screenings we cover include: criminal, civil, driver, drug and occupational health, employment and education, and professional license verifications. Our work involves orchestrating the flow of information from when a customer first places an order for a background check, to interacting with data from thousands of sources, to delivering the final report to customers and candidates. This is the core product and beating heart of Checkr.
Because we process millions of records each year, every engineering challenge our group faces – compliance, data quality, speed, and reliability – is a challenge we face at scale. We also face deep product challenges from a highly fragmented and decentralized data ecosystem, which means every engineering choice we make is also an opportunity to reduce bias in the hiring process.
We are looking for teammates that are highly collaborative, enjoy pairing to solve problems, care deeply about the mission of our company (improving fairness in the criminal justice system), and are eager to work with a diverse team (42% of engineers across the background check program identify as women).
What you bring:
- 5+ years of software development experience
- A preference towards collaboration, TDD, and pair programming
- Experience writing performant, reliable, scalable, and secure code
- Experience with microservices, queueing architectures, and APIs
- Experience spearheading adoption of best practices for the entire team to improve code quality and velocity
- Experience providing mentorship to junior engineers
- Ruby experience or a desire to learn Ruby
The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $129,200-$152,000.