Associate Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Travelers Haven seeks a Junior Software Engineer with strong abstract problem-solving abilities to join our Engineering team. You will work directly with the executive team and the employees using our software to help shape the future of our company. Our team is small but focused on shipping quality product. The ideal candidate for this position is willing and able learn to work full-stack and do CSS/JS as needed but gravitates more towards the back-end systems side.
In this position, you will be making architectural decisions with other resources, building new features and performing maintenance for a complex yet reliable Ruby on Rails environment with an AngularJS/React front-end.
- Code is shipped daily to our production, staging, and continuous integration environments. Test results, deployments, and production monitoring alerts are posted to Slack.
- We do two-week sprints (Scrum). Outside of daily standups and weekly sprint planning and retrospectives, we keep meetings to an absolute minimum to maximize development time.
- We play to each team member’s strengths. Whether you skew frontend or backend, you’ll primarily be using the skills you’re best at and enjoy the most but be expected to jump in anywhere as needed.
- We currently all use Mac desktops and MacBooks for development but if you prefer Linux that’s good too.
Required Education & Experience:
- BA/BS in computer science, information systems, business or a related discipline or demonstratable equivalent experience.
- 1+ years of professional web development or related experience (school, bootcamp, etc). The more Ruby, the better.
- Minimum of 6 months to 1 year of Ruby on Rails experience
- Strong problem-solving ability for creating, testing, and optimizing scalable algorithms.
- Good communication skills. Whether it's interfacing with a client via email or working with an internal team communication is paramount for our team's continued success.
- Bonus: Experience with high-volume, public-facing production applications and performance testing.
- Bonus: Experience with implementing web application security best practices.
- Heroku and Amazon Web Services
- REST/SOAP APIs
- RSpec and TDD
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.